Bill Hibbard is a scientist at the University of Wisconsin–Madison Space Science and Engineering Center working on visualization and machine intelligence. He is principal author of the Vis5D, Cave5D and VisAD open source visualization systems. Vis5D was the first open-source 3D visualization system and is the leading system for animated 3-D visualization of weather simulations. Cave5D is the most widely used software system for scientific visualization in immersive virtual reality. VisAD is the leading visualization system written in Java.
Writings on artificial intelligence
Bill Hibbard is also author of the book Super-Intelligent Machines and several articles about the technological singularity. He describes how new technologies of life and mind will develop during the 21st century and can bring great benefits to humans. He warns that these technologies also threaten to bring radical inequality to human society, and that this threat must be resisted by educating the public about these technologies and building a widespread political movement to protect general human interests. His book makes the case that humans will create machines with much greater than human intelligence during the 21st century. It argues that reinforcement learning is essential to intelligence and that the reinforcement values necessary for this learning are just what we call emotions. The book also explains how super-intelligent machines can be a great benefit or a great threat to humans, and says that designing machines with the emotion of love for all humans is the key to getting the benefit and avoiding the threat. The book also discusses the prospect of humans themselves becoming super-intelligent.
The ideas from Hibbard's book were refined in 2008. Hibbard published a series of three papers in 2012 on technical AI risk. One of these papers won the Singularity Institute's 2012 Turing Prize for the Best AGI Safety Paper.
- Hibbard, Bill (2008), "The Technology of Mind and a New Social Contract", Journal of Evolution and Technology 17.
- Hibbard, Bill (2012), "Model-Based Utility Functions", Journal of Artificial General Intelligence 3, doi:10.2478/v10229-011-0013-5.
- Avoiding Unintended AI Behaviors. Bill Hibbard. 2012 proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Artificial General Intelligence, eds. Joscha Bach, Ben Goertzel and Matthew Ikle.
- Decision Support for Safe AI Design|. Bill Hibbard. 2012 proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Artificial General Intelligence, eds. Joscha Bach, Ben Goertzel and Matthew Ikle.
- The Singularity Institute's 2012 Turing Prize for the Best AGI Safety Paper.
- Who, Marquis (2008). Who's Who in America 2008. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. ISBN 978-0-08-379701-1.
- Who, Marquis (2009). Who's Who in America 2009. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. ISBN 978-0-8379-7017-2.
- Bio at Lifeboat Foundation
- Profile at Accelerating Futures