June 29, 1955 |
|Occupation||Former MLB umpire|
Prior to joining MLB, Hohn served in numerous other leagues from 1977–88. He umpired in the 1994 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, and the Divisional Series in 1996, 1998, and 2005. Hohn was the home plate umpire for Hideo Nomo's no-hitter on September 17, 1996.
On July 5, 1992, while umpiring a game between the Atlanta Braves and the Chicago Cubs, Hohn approached the Braves dugout while arguing with Atlanta player Terry Pendleton, with the dispute leading to the ejection of Braves manager Bobby Cox. After a fan made a gesture with his hand toward Hohn, the umpire called for security to have the fan removed from the stadium. However, the fan would only be required to move twenty-nine rows back.
In July 2009, Hohn again roused the ire of the Braves after he exchanged a fist-bump with Florida Marlins catcher John Baker at the conclusion of a Braves-Marlins game. Hohn previously ejected Braves manager Bobby Cox and catcher Brian McCann from the game. Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton called the fist-bump "shocking" and Atlanta's Chipper Jones said, "I've never seen it before in my 16 years." A month prior, Hohn ejected 3 members of the Braves from a game in Boston. Hohn declined to comment on the situation, other than to state that the league had reviewed it. 
In 2010, Hohn ejected Houston Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt from a game although Oswalt told Hohn that he was not talking to him. MLB executive Bob Watson stated that Oswalt would not receive more punishment, while Hohn would be addressed "in a very stern way." It was the first time Oswalt had been ejected since 2004, when he was thrown out by Hohn after a hit batter.
- "Bill Hohn – 29". mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Ump Bill Hohn retires after 23 years". espn.com. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "Retirement: Bill Hohn." Close Call Sports/Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. January 27, 2012.
- "Umpire Tosses Manager And Braves' Fan". Toledo Blade. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Bowman, Mark. "Braves object to ump's fist bump". MLB.com. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- Barzilai, Peter (June 1, 2010). "MLB sides with Roy Oswalt over umpire in ejection". USA Today. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Fallas, Bernardo. "Frustrated Oswalt denies he was showing up ump". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 15 May 2012.