|Alma mater||Middlebury College|
|Known for||Managing Partner at Google Ventures
VP of Special Projects at Google
Bill Maris is a venture capitalist and the managing partner at Google Ventures, a venture capital firm established by Maris and funded through Google Inc. With approximately $2 billion under management and investments in Uber and Nest, the five-year old fund is described as one of the hottest in Silicon Valley. Maris oversees all of Google Ventures’ funding activity and has a particular interest in next generation life sciences and artificial intelligence. He was instrumental in the formation of Google’s Calico project.
Education and early career
Maris’s background includes research at the Duke University Medical Center Department of Neurobiology. He has a degree in neuroscience from Middlebury College. Maris began his career as a biotechnology and healthcare portfolio manager for Swedish investment firm Investor Investor AB. In 1997, Maris founded one of the first Web hosting companies, Burlee.com, and built much of the company’s computing, network and technological infrastructure. Burlee was subsequently acquired by Web.com.
Google Ventures Managing Partner
Maris founded Google Ventures in 2009 as the venture capital investment arm of Google Inc. He is responsible for the fund’s investments of $400 million each year in technology and life sciences startups. Maris grew Google Ventures into one of the most active venture capital firms, with $2 billion under management, more than 280 portfolio companies, and offices in San Francisco, Boston, New York, Mountain View, CA, and London.  Notable Google Ventures investments include Uber, Nest, Foundation Medicine, DocuSign, and Flatiron Health.
Google for Entrepreneurs
Maris is responsible for Google’s global startup efforts, including Google for Entrepreneurs, Campus London, and Campus Tel Aviv.
Maris has been named as one of Silicon Valley’s 40 under 40, Fast Company named him one of the most creative people in business, and Vanity Fair named him one to watch and to the New Establishment list.
- "Bill Maris, Managing Partner". Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "Bill Maris". gv.com. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "These are the venture firms celebrating Uber's massive $18B valuation". fortune.com. Fortune. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Google’s Creative Destruction - Fast Company, April, 2012
- Page, Larry. Google+ http://plus.google.com/+LarryPage/posts/Lh8SKC6sED1. Retrieved 12 June 2014. Missing or empty
- The Disruptive Ideas of Google Ventures - Charlie Rose with Bill Maris and Kevin Rose, October 2012 (broadcast)
- Google Ventures Stresses Science of Deal, Not Art of the Deal - New York Times, June 2013
- "Google Ventures Opens London Office As A Base For Investing $100M Across Europe". techcrunch.com. TechCrunch.
- "Evaluating the Effectiveness of Corporate Venture Capital Investors in Tech". cbinsights.com. CB Insights. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Google Ventures: A Closelyx-Watched Wildcard". The Information.
- "Google grows into a venture capital power". The New York Post.
- "Google Ventures: $1.2B Under Management, 75 New Investments And 9 Exits In 2013". TechCrunch.
- "Google Goes To... Poland?". Forbes.com. Forbes.
- "Silicon Valley 40 under 40: Bill Maris, Google Ventures". Silicon Valley Business Journal.
- "MCP 1000: The Most Creative People In Business". Fast Company.
- "The Next Establishment Fifteen up-and-comers to keep an eye on.". vanityfair.com. Vanity Fair.
- "The New Establishment". Vanity Fair.
- Tristan Prettyman Maris - Instagram