Bill Roper (video game producer)
Bill Roper (born 27 March 1965 in Concord, California) is Vice President/GM at Disney Interactive Studios. Roper has headed video game studios and creative and development departments for two decades, including divisions at Blizzard Entertainment, Flagship Studios, and Cryptic Studios. He is also an accomplished musician, and a founding member of a regionally-popular Celtic Music group called The Poxy Boggards.
After his departure from Blizzard Entertainment, he co-founded and held the position of CEO for Flagship Studios, the developer of Hellgate: London and Mythos (which was later released by HanbitSoft). Amidst rumors of layoffs within the company the company dissolved and lost the rights to both Mythos and Hellgate: London to Hanbitsoft and Comerica respectively; the Asian market partner and the bank which held up the intellectual property rights as collateral on loans taken to buy time to find investors. HanbitSoft currently owns the intellectual property rights to Mythos and Hellgate: London.
In March 2010, Roper accepted a promotion to Chief Creative Officer of Cryptic Studios, replacing Jack Emmert who transitioned to the role of Chief Operations Officer. On August 16, 2010, Roper announced his departure from Cryptic Studios.
Roper was named #41 in IGN's Top 100 Game Creators of All Time.
Roper has worked on the following titles:
- Blackthorne (1994) - Music
- Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (1994) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995) - Design, Narration, Voiceover, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (1996) - Executive Producer, Story Consultant, Narration, Voiceover
- Diablo (1996) - Producer, Voice Production, Casting & Directing, Story, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
- StarCraft (1998) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
- StarCraft: Brood War (1998) - Executive Producer, Voiceover, Caterer, Documentation
- Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (1999) - Producer
- Diablo II (2000) - Senior Producer, Voice Casting, Voiceover, Strike Team
- Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) - Global Launch Team, Strike Team
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - Voiceover, Strike Team
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003) - Voiceover
- Hellgate: London (2007) - CEO
- Champions Online (2009) - Design Director, Executive Producer
- Star Trek Online (2010) - Design Director
- Roper at MySpace.
- Roper's Facebook page.
- "FSS Senior Developer speaks out at You Got Flagshipped". Flagshipped.com. Retrieved 2009-03-09.[dead link]
- "Flagship Founder Bill Roper Interview". 1up.com. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Linde, Aaron (2008-03-26). "Comments - Hellgate: London Receives Additional Financing; Failship Uses Sales Rights As Loan Collatoral - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads". Shacknews. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "Cryptic Studios Hires Industry Veteran Bill Roper | Champions Online Official Site". Champions-online.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Kyle Horner. "Bill Roper made Cryptic's CCO, Jack Emmert switches to COO".
- "Bill Roper Departs Cryptic Studios | Champions Online Official Site". Champions-online.com. 2010-08-16. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- Bill Roper: Top Game Creator
- "IMDB profile". Imdb.com. Archived from the original on 3 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Bill Roper at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Bill Roper
- Bio at MobyGames
- Interview on the closing of Flagship Studios
- July '03 Interview with GameSpy.com