||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
September 16, 1937 |
Youngstown, Ohio, U.S.
|Medium||Stand-up, Film, Television|
|Genres||Sketch comedy, Improvisational comedy, Character comedy|
|Subject(s)||Self-deprecation, Everyday life|
|Influences||Redd Foxx, Billy Barty, Fred Willard, Slappy White|
|Influenced||David Steinberg, Jerry Seinfeld, Robert Townsend, Tim Allen|
|Notable works and roles||founding member of the Ace Trucking Company comedy troupe
created the stage character Ray J. Johnson
Bill Saluga (born William Saluga September 16, 1937 in Youngstown, Ohio) is an American comedian. Born in Youngstown, Ohio, he was a founding member, along with Fred Willard, Michael Mislove, George Memmoli, and Patti Deutsch of the improvisational comedy troupe Ace Trucking Company. Saluga has appeared on several television programs, including Seinfeld, and is co-author of Bill Saluga's Name Game Book (ISBN 0-553-20754-7).
Raymond J. Johnson
Saluga is best known for his cigar-smoking, zoot-suit-wearing television character “Raymond J. Johnson, Jr.” (also known as Ray J. Johnson, Raymond J. Johnson, Jr., Ray, J, Johnny, Sonny, Junie, Ray J, RJ, RJJ, and RJJ Jr) and is famous for his catchphrase "You can call me Ray, or you can call me Ray Jay or you can call me...".
One of his best known sketches involves him as a reporter for an imaginary news syndicate where he is continually sent out on a story with hilarious results:
- Fred Willard: We take you now to Raymond J. Johnson on location.
- Ray Johnson: Yes, i'm coming to you, we're in the middle of a meelee here…
- (Announcement Over P.A.) The Spring Hotel is proud to present our Sunday buffet currently serving in the lobby from 10 AM until 2PM.
- Fred: Ray, Ray? Where are you? Where's your story? We're hearing about a riot across town!
- Ray: Yes, well I'm stuck in the lobby here…
|This article about an American comedian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|