Church of St Andrew, Billingborough
Billingborough shown within Lincolnshire
|Population||1,401 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|- London||95 mi (153 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||Grantham and Stamford|
Billingborough is a village and civil parish in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 10 miles (16 km) north from Bourne and 10 miles south from Sleaford, and on the B1177 between Horbling and Pointon just south of the A52.
The name of the village comes from the post-Roman Billings tribe of invaders.
The village has a pre-school, a primary school and Aveland High School, formerly a secondary modern school. In January 2010 the Aveland school merged with a Sleaford school to form St George's Academy. The catchment area for the secondary school spans the boundary of North Kesteven and South Kesteven, with many pupils living just south of Sleaford. Most Lincolnshire school catchment areas do not span district boundaries.[original research?]
The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew. The ecclesiastical parish is part of The Billingborough Group in the Lafford Deanery, Diocese of Lincoln. The priest-in-charge is The Rev'd Anna Sorensen.
Billingborough amenities include a post office, which is also a convenience store, a small supermarket, and a fish and chip shop. Village public houses are the Fortescue Arms on High Street and the George and Dragon on Victoria Street.
The cricket club in Billingborough (officially Billingborough Horbling and Threekingham Cricket club)has been extremely successful since 2004 and attained entrance to the ECB Lincs Premier League in 2013, the highest standard of cricket in Lincolnshire
- Richard Nauyokas, of Lads Army lives in the village
- Eric Houghton, Aston Villa and England footballer and Villa manager, was born in the village.
- Robert Gordon Latham, ethnologist and philologist was born in Billingborough in 1812
- "Billingborough". 2011 census. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Billingborough Parish Council".
- Ouseby (350961). PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Birthorpe (351023). PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Church of St Andrew (350971). PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Billingborough and Horbling station (498482). PastScape. English Heritage. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Neighbourhood statistics". 2001 census. Office for national statistics. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Billingborough Primary School".
- "St. George's Academy web site".
- "Billingborough P C C"., Diocese of Lincoln
- George and Dragon
- Lincolnshire ACF
- Richard Nauyokas Daily Mail feature article. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "Eric Houghton"; Cricketarchive.com. Retrieved 14 April 2012
- Media related to Billingborough at Wikimedia Commons
- Portrait of the village
- Photographs of the village
- Cricket Club