The logo of the Billings Gazette
|Founded||1885 (as Billings Daily Gazette)|
|Headquarters||401 N. Broadway Ave.
Billings, MT 59101
The Billings Gazette is the largest newspaper in Montana and Northern Wyoming. It is geographically one of the most widely distributed newspapers in the nation. Each day carriers deliver more than 45,000 daily copies and that number increases to 50,000 on Sunday. To accomplish this 450 independent carriers and bundle haulers drive in excess of 12,000 miles to deliver papers in more than 120 different towns across more than 105,000 square miles (roughly the size of Iowa and Illinois combined).
- The first newspaper in Billings was published in 1882.
- The first edition of The Gazette was published May 3, 1885, on a single sheet of paper.
- The Billings Gazette moved into its current building on July 20, 1968– 42 years ago.
- The Billings Gazette facility is approximately 94,000 sq. ft. and employs more than 200 people. There are people working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Billings Gazette celebrated its 125th birthday in 2010
- There are 4 sports reporters and 3 desk editors who work from 3 p.m. until midnight capturing scores so results can be immediately uploaded to GazPrep Sports blog and printed in the next edition of the newspaper.
- The Billings Gazette has 17 reporters in the building, one news reporter in Cody, WY, and 3 news reporters in Helena.
They gather information and write the story. Their stories are transmitted to their team editors who proofread it and make changes. The story goes to the copy desk where it receives another check. The copy editors are the ones who write the headlines.
- The Billings Gazette print 3 editions of The Gazette every day: local, State, and Wyoming. The Wyoming edition is printed first because it has the farthest to travel.
The press runs from around 10:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m daily and prints approximately 45,000 copies of the Billings Gazette. For the Sunday paper, the press runs from around 9:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. and approximately 50,000 copies are printed.
- Rocky Dailey, (online reporter)
- Craig Lancaster, (editor and author)
- John Letasky (sportswriter/columnist/blogger)
- Ryan Minch (former sportswriter/blogger, sports editor of the Laurel Outlook)
- Tom Stout, (former editorial writer)
- Becky Shay, (former reporter)