|Single by JLS|
|from the album Goodbye – The Greatest Hits|
|Released||17 November 2013|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||R&B, pop, dance-pop|
|Writer(s)||Camille Purcell, Ali Tennant|
|JLS singles chronology|
"Billion Lights" is a song by British boy band JLS. The song is the only single (other than their 2012 charity single "Proud") taken their greatest hits album, and fifth album overall, Goodbye – The Greatest Hits (2013). It was released on 17 November 2013, the day before the album, as JLS's second single before their split.
Background and promotion
On 15 December 2012, Marvin Humes revealed that JLS were to release their fifth album in 2013. "By the time 2013 rolls round it'll be time for our fifth album," he said. "This is usually a greatest hits in boy band territory but we don't know if we're ready for that yet. There will definitely be an album next year. There's a lot of competition for us – not just from other boy bands. So we have to stay ahead of the game and stay relevant coming up with new hits." On 1 February 2013, it was confirmed that work on the album had begun. On 26 March 2013, Humes announced that the band were heading out to Los Angeles to record the album: "We're booked in to go to LA and work with Rodney Jerkins again and are looking at some new people too."
On 24 April 2013, JLS shocked fans by announcing that they would be splitting after six years together. In a statement on their official website, the band said that they would release a greatest hits album, titled Goodbye – The Greatest Hits, and complete their third and final arena tour. On 24 April 2013, they confirmed plans to release Goodbye – The Greatest Hits in late 2013, preceded by a new single, to coincide with their farewell arena tour across the UK - the Goodbye: The Greatest Hits Tour.
On 26 September, JLS's management tweeted that the band's last ever single would be called "Billion Lights" and also revealed the artwork, "So...We're very excited to finally share this!! The brand new JLS single is called ‘Billion Lights’!! :) JLSHQx". "Billion Lights" was written especially for the band's Greatest Hits album by Camille Purcell and Ali Tennant, who wrote JLS's 2012 single "Hottest Girl in the World". It was later revealed that the single would be released on 17 November, followed by the release of Goodbye – The Greatest Hits the following day. During an exclusive interview for the Official Charts Company, JB Gill said: "Billion Lights is also a celebration. We wanted to make sure we came with something that is up-tempo, that's traditional of JLS... You're gonna see us singing and dancing in the video. You're gonna feel the vibe for sure! We're really, really proud of it."
Writing for the Daily Record, John Dingwall gave the album 3 stars out of 5 and wrote: "AFTER five number one singles, JLS release their final song. While One Direction's fame has surpassed them, 1D owe them a huge debt. Their final song is a brassy club banger that's all about fun. They’re dancing out the room rather than being dragged. Hats off." Robert Copsey of Digital Spy said, ""We ignite the sky/ A billion lights tonight," they sing over strobing beats and ravey synths, recalling their consistently energetic live showings in all their back-flipping and pec-posing glory. It's sad, then, that the production is arguably their laziest and most dated yet, suggesting their end has arrived not a moment too soon." He gave the song 2/5.
On 29 August 2013, JLS' management tweeted "Last video shoot with JLS today sad day but don't worry it's going to be a good one." The video was released on 4 October 2013. It features early clips from JLS' time on The X Factor, old concert footage, awards ceremonies, their charity work and backstage footage.
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||15|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||19|
|Ireland||14 November 2013||Epic Records||Digital download, CD single|
|United Kingdom||17 November 2013|
- Eames, Tom (17 November 2013). "JLS to release fifth album in 2013, says Marvin Humes". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK).
- Corner, Lewis (1 February 2013). "JLS: 'We've started writing new album already'". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Gentry, Colin (26 March 2013). "JLS begin work on new album". 4Music. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "JLS to split up after farewell tour". Newsbeat. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Sheridan, Emily (23 April 2013). "We are still best of friends and always will be – but this is the end': JLS shock fans by announcing split after five years". Daily Mail (DMG Media). Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Corner, Lewis (24 April 2013). "JLS confirm retrospective album 'Goodbye: The Greatest Hits'". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "Twitter / @JLSOfficial / "So...We're very excited to finally share this!! The brand new JLS single is called ‘Billion Lights’!! :) JLSHQx "". Twitter. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Lee, Ann (30 September 2013). "JLS unveil last ever single Billion Lights: ‘This is our final serving to you’". Metro (DMG Media). Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Lane, Daniel (19 November 2013). "JLS chat about their farewell single, Billion Lights, and Greatest Hits album, Goodbye". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Deen, Sarah (17 November 2013). "JLS' Strictly Come Dancing performance illuminates Twitter as fans surge to buy Billion Lights". Metro (DMG Media). Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Dingwall, John (22 November 2013). "Single reviews: Lily Allen + Gary Barlow + Bastille + JLS + Naughty Boy featuring Wiz Khalifa & Ella Eyre". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Copsey, Robert (7 November 2013). "JLS 'Billion Lights' review: 'JLS call time not a moment too soon'". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "JLS Start Filming Final Music Video For New Song This Week Ahead Of 'Goodbye' Tour". Capital FM. 29 August 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Andrews, Marc (4 October 2013). "JLS bid their fans an emotional farewell in video for swansong single Billion Lights". Daily Mail (DMG Media). Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Chart Track: Week 47, 2013". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-11-30". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-11-30" UK Singles Chart.
- "JLS - Billion Lights - Single". iTunes Store (Apple Inc.). Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "JLS - Billion Lights - Single". iTunes Store (Apple Inc.). Retrieved 15 November 2013.