Billy Eppler is an American baseball executive. He is the assistant general manager for the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball. He previously served as the Yankees' director of professional scouting.
Eppler is a native of San Diego, California, and graduated from University of San Diego High School in 1993. He attended the University of Connecticut and pitched for the Connecticut Huskies baseball team, until an arm injury ended his playing career.
Eppler was hired as a scout for the Colorado Rockies in 2000. After the 2004 season, he was hired to scout for the New York Yankees, working in the Tampa office run by Mark Newman and Damon Oppenheimer. When Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman was given the authority to restructure the Yankees' front office after the 2005 season, he created a professional scouting department and promoted Eppler to serve as its director. He was promoted to Assistant General Manager during the 2011–12 offseason.
Eppler is well versed in the statistics of baseball, using them to sign Edwar Ramírez out of independent baseball. He is considered by many, including Cashman and Gene Michael to be a future general manager. In 2011, Eppler interviewed for the general manager opening for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was one of the finalists for the position, which went to Jerry Dipoto in 2011. In August 2014, he interviewed to be the general manager for the San Diego Padres, but the Padres hired A. J. Preller. When the Arizona Diamondbacks fired Kevin Towers as their general manager in September 2014, Eppler was one of the five candidates they identified as a potential replacement. Eppler declined to interview for the position, and the Diamondbacks chose Dave Stewart.
- "SD native Eppler interviews for Padres' GM job". San Diego Padres. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Destination wedding for New York couple meant lots of prep time via phone, e-mail - The San Diego Union-Tribune". Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Kepner, Tyler (February 28, 2009). "Yanks’ Top Scout Has Eye for Talent and Ear for Nuance". The New York Times. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- Kepner, Tyler (September 22, 2006). "BASEBALL; From Arizona, to Columbus, to the Bronx". The New York Times. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "Yankees hire former Cubs GM Jim Hendry as Special Assignment Scout". New York Yankees. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Neyer, Rob (July 17, 2007). "Yanks use stats to find a gem". ESPN. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "Jerry Dipoto to be new Angels general manager". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler can't cash in on experience". NY Daily News. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Magruder, Jack (September 5, 2014). "Tony La Russa lists 5 candidates for D-backs general manager". Fox Sports Arizona. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- "Stewart reportedly D-backs' choice to be general manager". Major League Baseball. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Billy Eppler: Baseball America Executive Database". Baseball America. Retrieved October 24, 2011.