Billy Lane (footballer)
|Full name||William Henry Charles Lane|
|Date of birth||23 October 1904|
|Place of birth||Tottenham, England|
|Date of death||10 November 1985(aged 81)|
|Place of death||Chelmsford, Essex, England|
|Playing position||Centre forward|
|?–?||London City Mission||?||(?)|
|1951–1961||Brighton & Hove Albion|
|1961–1963||Gravesend and Northfleet|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
William Henry Charles 'Billy' Lane (23 October 1904 – 1985) was an English footballer who played for the London City Mission, Gnome Athletic, Park Avondale, Summerstown, Barnet, Tottenham Hotspur, Northfleet United, Leicester City, Walsall (trial), Reading, Brentford, Watford, Bristol City, Clapton Orient and Gravesend United.
After playing for the London City Mission, Gnome Athletic and Park Avondale, Lane joined Tottenham Hotspur in 1922 for the first time but left the club without appearing in a senior match. He went on to play for Summerstown and Barnet before re-joining Tottenham after a spell with the club's "nursery" team Northfleet United. Lane, a centre forward went on to feature in 30 matches and found the net on six occasions between 1924 and 1926. After leaving White Hart Lane he appeared for Leicester City, Reading and Brentford where he made 112 appearances. He signed for Watford in 1932, and the following year scored a hat-trick in the Football League in under 3 minutes, against Clapton Orient on 20 December 1933. He featured in a total of 136 matches for Watford in all competitions, scoring 77 goals, and went on to have spells at Bristol City, Clapton Orient and finally Gravesend United.
Lane later went into management, with Guildford City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Gravesend & Northfleet. He managed Brighton & Hove Albion to its first ever Football League title, as 1957–58 Football League Third Division South champions.
- Joyce, Michael (2004). Football League Players' Records. soccerdata. p. 151. ISBN 1-899468-63-3.
- Kent's nursery clubs Retrieved 7 May 2009
- Tottenham Hotspur F.C A-Z of players Retrieved 29 November 2012 Archived 3 June 2009 at WebCite
- Lacey, David (23 February 2008). "Rotation traps Liverpool in a cycle of domestic under-achievement". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- Jones, Trefor (1998). Watford Season by Season. pp. 90–91. ISBN 0-9527458-1-X.
- Jones, Trefor (1996). Watford Football Club Illustrated Who's Who. p. 142. ISBN 0-9527458-0-1.