||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Microsoft Translator. (Discuss) Proposed since December 2014.|
Logo and favicon of Bing Translator, which appears along the title in the web browser
Bing Translator translating between English and Chinese Traditional
Type of site
|Launched||3 June 2009|
|The Bilingual Viewer showing the English translation of the French Wikipedia's main page|
Bing Translator (previously Live Search Translator and Windows Live Translator) is a user facing translation portal provided by Microsoft as part of its Bing services to translate texts or entire web pages into different languages. All translation pairs are powered by the Microsoft Translator, a statistical machine translation platform and web service, developed by Microsoft Research, as its backend translation software. Two transliteration pairs (between Chinese Traditional and Chinese Simplified) are provided by Microsoft's Windows International team.
Bing Translator can translate phrases entered by the user or acquire a link to a web page and translate its entirely. When translating an entire web page, or when the user selects "Translate this page" in Bing search results, the Bilingual Viewer is shown, which allows users to browse the original web page text and translation in parallel, supported by synchronized highlights, scrolling, and navigation. Four Bilingual Viewer layouts are available:
- Side by side
- Top and bottom
- Original with hover translation
- Translation with hover original
Website owners can add a translation widget to their website for translating it into other languages supported by Bing Translator; this is done by inserting an HTML code snippet on the web page. The widget supports:
- Any-to-Any language translation pairs
- Automatically detect the language of the text or website being translated
- Ability to easily reverse the translation direction
- The user can play back a spoken version of the translation through text-to-speech (not supported in every language)
Bing Translator integrates with several other Microsoft products. The following is a table of products into which Bing Translator is integrated or may be integrated:
|Integrates into||Mean of integration|
|Bing Instant Answers||Already integrated|
|Internet Explorer||An Accelerator for Internet Explorer 8 or higher|
- Asia Online
- Comparison of machine translation applications
- Google Translate
- Yahoo! Babel Fish
- Antoniou, Grigoris; Grobelnik, Marko; Simperl, Elena; Parsia, Bijan; Plexousakis, Dimitris; de Leenheer, Pieter; Pan, Jeff Z. (2011). The Semantic Web: Research and Applications. Berlin: Springer Science+Business Media. p. 341. ISBN 9783642210334.
- "Translation powered by....Microsoft Translator!". Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Official Team Blog. Microsoft Corporation. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "About Bing Translator". Bing Translator. Microsoft. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Microsoft Translator Widget". Bing Translator. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Any-to-Any Translations and Language Autodetect now available for Microsoft Translator". Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Official Team Blog. Microsoft Corporation. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Official website
- Microsoft Translator Team Blog
- Microsoft Translator for Microsoft Office
- Translator The example of how to use the Bing Translator for partner sites using Microsoft Azure API Datamarket.