Bing Translator translating between English and Chinese Traditional
Type of site
|Launched||3 June 2009|
|The Bilingual Viewer showing the English translation of the French Wikipedia's main page|
Bing Translator (previously Live Search Translator and Windows Live Translator) is a user facing translation portal provided by Microsoft as part of its Bing services to translate texts or entire web pages into different languages. All translation pairs are powered by the Microsoft Translator statistical machine translation platform and web service, developed by Microsoft Research, as its backend translation software. Two transliteration pairs (between Chinese Traditional and Chinese Simplified) are provided by Microsoft's Windows International team.
In addition to standard text and web page translation, Bing Translator includes several additional features:
- When translating an entire web page, or when the user selects "Translate this page" in Bing search results, the Bilingual Viewer will be shown, which allows users to browse the original web page text and translation in parallel, supported by synchronized highlights, scrolling, and navigation
- Four Bilingual Viewer layouts are available:
- Side by side
- Top and bottom
- Original with hover translation
- Translation with hover original
- Website owners can add a translation widget to their website for translating it into other languages supported by Bing Translator; this is done by inserting an HTML code snippet on the web page
- Any-to-Any language translation pairs
- Automatically detect the language of the text or website being translated
- Ability to easily reverse the translation direction
- The user can play back a spoken version of the translation through text-to-speech (not supported in every language)
Bing Translator integrates with several other Microsoft products. The following is a table of products into which Bing Translator is integrated or may be integrated:
|Integrates into||Mean of integration|
|Bing Instant Answers||Already integrated|
|Internet Explorer||An Accelerator for Internet Explorer 8 or higher|
|Microsoft Office||Fully integrated into Microsoft Office 2010 onwards, and as a plug-in for Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007|
|Windows Live Messenger||A Windows Live Agent called TBot|
In addition, owners of websites or blogs may integrate a Bing Translator widget into their websites or blogs; this widget will enable visitors to translate the web page into which the widget is integrated into their language of choice.
- Asia Online
- Comparison of machine translation applications
- Google Translate
- Yahoo! Babel Fish
- "Translation powered by....Microsoft Translator!". Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Official Team Blog. Microsoft Corporation. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Any-to-Any Translations and Language Autodetect now available for Microsoft Translator". Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Official Team Blog. Microsoft Corporation. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Translate a Full Document using Office 2010 and Microsoft Translator". Office Global Experience. Microsoft Corporation. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "TBot, the translator robot". Microsoft Language Portal Blog. Microsoft Corporation. 6 November 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Microsoft Translator Widget". Bing Translator. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- Official website
- Microsoft Translator Team Blog
- Microsoft Translator for Microsoft Office
- Translator The example of how to use the Bing Translator for partner sites using Microsoft Azure API Datamarket.