Bingham Junction (UTA station)
Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
TRAX light rail station
|Address||7387 South Bingham Junction Boulevard
UTA:Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||7 August 2011|
Bingham Junction is a light rail station in Midvale, Utah, in the United States, served by the Red Line of the Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) TRAX light rail system. The Red Line provides service from the University of Utah to the Daybreak Community of South Jordan.
The station is located at 7387 South Bingham Junction Boulevard (approximately 930 West), about midway between the Jordan River and Interstate 15. Bingham Junction Boulevard is easily accessed from Jordan River Boulevard (7000 South/7200 South [SR-48]) on the north and 7720 South (West Center Street) on the south. The station situated in the middle of a large, former superfund site (approaching a square mile in size) associated with Midvale's industrial past (especially smelting), but recent redevelopment of the area includes transit-oriented residential areas to the south, commercial developments to the west, and a retail area far to the north (visible across brownfield). The station is also UTA's closest to Midvale's historic downtown, but any direct route to it for pedestrians remains blocked by a fenced right-of-way for a railroad spur.
The station's name refers to the connection between the Union Pacific Railroad's Provo Subdivision (previously the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad's Utah Division), which still exists (for the use of the Savage Bingham and Garfield Railroad freight service) a few blocks east of the station. Bingham Junction has a Park and Ride lot with 200 free parking spaces available.[Note 1] The station opened 7 August 2011 as part of the Red Line (Mid-Jordan) and is operated by the Utah Transit Authority.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, as well as all fixed route buses, are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the trains clearly indicate accessibility options. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the first northbound Red Line train (to the University Medical Center Station) leaves the Bingham Junction Station at about 5:00 am and the first southbound train (to the Daybreak Parkway Station) leaves at about 5:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:40 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:36 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last southbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:36 pm.
On Saturdays the first southbound train leaves at about 5:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 6:30 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:00 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:47 pm . However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:47 pm.
On Sundays the first southbound train leaves at about 9:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 10:30 am. The last southbound train leaves at 7:40 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 8:27 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 7:27 pm.
Red Line trains run every fifteen minutes on weekdays and every twenty minutes on weekends.
Note: Bingham Junction is one very few TRAX stations that, as of December 2013, does not have any direct bus connections, nor any bus stops in close proximity to the station.
- Recently UTA announced that beginning 1 July 2013 it will start a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The programs allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24 hour time limit will still apply to these lots. Bingham Junction Station's lot is specifically included in this test program. Notwithstanding permission to park for extended periods in the applicable Park and Ride Lots, updated signage at the stations advises that the UTA Transit Police request that they be notified anytime a car is parked in one of the lots for more than seven days.
- Train schedules are current as of Change Day, 8 December 2013
- Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 8 August 2013
- "TRAX Parking and Stops". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 1 Mar 2013.
- Fidel, Steve (1 Oct 2010). "2011 completion date for two TRAX lines announced". Deseret News (Salt Lake City). Retrieved 7 Mar 2013.
- Hancock, Laura (25 Feb 2010). "UTA's board OKs station names". Deseret News (Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media). Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 19 Jul 2013.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "TRAX" (PDF). Utah Transit Authority. 8 Dec 2013. Retrieved 15 Dec 2013.