Bio Ritmo "Salsa Machine" is a salsa band based in Richmond, Virginia formed in 1991. The name Bio Ritmo is a Spanglish word play on the term Biorhythm, the hypothetical description for the rhythm of life.
The eight to ten member ensemble is known for a classic Nuyorican salsa sound made famous by the Fania All Stars in the 1970s that combines African Caribbean rhythms from son, bomba, plena, and samba with electronica and big band brass.
In November 2004, the Salsa Machine won the Disc Makers Independent Music World Series (IMWS) Northeast finals held at The Lion's Den in New York City and earned the title of "Top Independent Act in the Northeast." They were finalists in the 2004 Independent Music Awards – Latin Category.
Following their critically acclaimed 2003 self-titled release, Bio Ritmo released its EP, Salsa System, produced by legendary engineer/producer and 18-time Grammy Award winner, Jon Fausty. In September 2008, Bio Ritmo released their LP "Bionico", recorded by Lance Koehler and mixed and mastered by Jon Fausty.
In September 2011, Bio Ritmo released their latest LP, "La Verdad" on CD and Vinyl, celebrating 20 years of original salsa music.
- Rei Alvarez: vocals, guiro (original member)
- Giustino Riccio: timbal, coro, clave, drumset (original member)
- Bob Miller: trumpet, coro, synth (original member)
- Marlysse Simmons: piano, Farfisa organ, (leader)
- Tobias Whitaker: trombone
- Mark Ingraham: trumpet
- Edward Prendergast: bass
- Michael Montañez: bongó
- Hector "Coco" Barez: conga
- JC Kuhl: saxophone
- John Lilley: saxophone
- Gabo Tomasini: conga (original member)
- Piraguero, 7" single, Merge Records, 1995
- Que Siga la Musica, Shamless Records, 1996
- Salsa Galactica, Permanent Records, 1997
- Rumba, Baby Rumba, Mercury / Triloka records, 1998
- Bio Ritmo (self-titled), Independent Release, Locutor Records, 2004
- Salsa System, Independent Release, Locutor Records, 2006
- Bionico, Locutor Records, 2008
- La Verdad, Electric Cowbell Records September, 2011
- Puerta del Sur, Vampisoul Records, sorti en 2014. Liste des pistes :
- Se Les Olvidó
- La Vía 05:35
- Picaresca 04:53
- Pájaro Pío Pío
- Le Dicen Dolor
- Codeina 06:56
- Featured on international CD compilations: Latin Beat Magazine's 2005 Siempre Salsa CD of the best indie salsa; the Swiss release Ritmo Rico, and Holland's Latin Lounge Vol. 1.
Bio Ritmo has shared the stage with Mambo King, Tito Puente, as well as Poncho Sanchez, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Timbalaye, Tambo, Ozomatli, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Morphine, G Love and Special Sauce, Wilco, Southern Culture on the Skids, Frankie Vazquez, La Familia Quintero, La Sonora Ponceña, Bloque 53, and Diabloson.
September 2011 Bio Ritmo performed in Dax, France at the Toros y Salsa festival.
On September 23, 2011 Bio Ritmo celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- Batanga - Issues 7-10 -2004 - Page 80 " Inside The Ellington is a different world as Bio Ritmo plays its sizzling salsa and the dance floor fills with cheerful dancers ... Formed in 1991, "just wanting to jam these rhythms," as lead singer and composer Rai Alvarez puts it, Bio Ritmo has ...