Biocybernetics is the application of cybernetics to biological science, composed of biological disciplines that benefit from the application of cybernetics: neurology, multicellular systems and others. Biocybernetics plays a major role in systems biology, seeking to integrate different levels of information to understand how biological systems function.
Biocybernetics is a cojoined word from bio (Greek: βίο / life) and cybernetics (Greek: κυβερνητική / controlling-governing). It is sometimes written together or with a blank or written fully as biological cybernetics, whilst the same rules apply. Most write it together though, as Google statistics show. The same applies to neuro cybernetics which should also be looked up as neurological, when doing extensive research.
Early proponents of biocybernetics 
Same or familiar fields 
As those disciplines are dealing on theoretical/abstract foundations and are in accordance with the popularity of computers. Thus papers and research is in greater numbers going on under different names: e.g. molecular cybernetics -> molecular computational systems OR molecular systems theory OR molecular systemics OR molecular information/informational systems
Please heed this when you engage in an extensive search for information to assure access to a broad range of papers.
- biocybernetics - the study of an entire living organism
- neurocybernetics - cybernetics dealing with neurological models. (Psycho-Cybernetics was the title of a self-help book, and is not a scientific discipline)
- molecular cybernetics - cybernetics dealing with molecular systems (e.g. molecular biology cybernetics)
- cellular cybernetics - cybernetics dealing with cellular systems (e.g. information technology/cell phones,... or biological cells)
- evolutionary cybernetics - study of the evolution of informational systems (See also evolutionary programming, evolutionary algorithm)
- any distinct informational system within the realm of biology
See also 
- Computational biology
- Computational biomodeling
- Medical cybernetics
- List of biomedical cybernetics software
- *W. Ross Ashby, Introduction to Cybernetics. Methuen, London, UK, 1956. PDF text.
- * Hans Drischel, Einführung in die Biokybernetik. Berlin 1972
- *Norbert Wiener, Cybernetics or Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine, (Hermann & Cie Editeurs, Paris, The Technology Press, Cambridge, Mass., John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1948).
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008)|
- Journal "Biological Cybernetics"
- Scientific portal on biological cybernetics defunct?
- UCLA Biocybernetics Laboratory