Biological E. Limited
|Headquarters||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Key people||Datla Venkata Krishnam Raju, Datla Vijay Kumar, Renuka Datla|
Biological E limited is a biotechnology company, headquartered in Hyderabad, India. It specializes in the areas of low-cost vaccine production. The company is the first private biopharmaceutical company in India.
The company was founded by Datla Venkata Krishnam Raju in 1953 and GAN Raju  as Biological Products Private Limited. The company later partnered with Evans Biopharma to form Biological Evans Private Limited. The partnership ended in 1972.
The company was headed by Vijay Kumar Datla and his wife Renuka Datla, the son and daughter of the founder duo respectively, since 1970. It was during this time that the company has experienced its growth phase and has established itself as one of the majors in the pharma verticals. From 2005, Mahima Datla, the third daughter of Renuka and Vijay Kumar was inducted into the company.
Vijay Kumar died in March 2013. Within a month of his death three new members were inducted into the board. Mahima Datla was named as Managing Director, becoming the first holder of that post lacking in medical or technical background. This is presently being challenged in the Company Law Board on ethical and legal grounds.
The companies primary research focus is into developing low molecular weight Heparins. The company has developed the Vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis commonly known as Brain Fever under the name Jeev. It is the first bio-pharma facility, at Genome Valley in the vaccines manufacturing business.
In the past 20 years, BE has formed alliances with Evans medical (UK), Solvay (company) & CIE (Belgium), Aventis, Glaxo - India and Mckinsey. The company is now a wholly owned Indian firm. We have also collaborated with Pasteur Meriux Connaught of France and WHO to deliver low-cost pediatric vaccines in the third world.
The Company has also worked with GlaxoSmithKline in developing a pediatric six-in-one vaccine for polio and other infectious diseases vaccine.
- "Biological E cuts children’s vaccine price by 30%". thehindubusinessline.com/. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Biological E Limited". icra.in. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "SC grants stay on demerger scheme of Duphar Interfran". hindu.com. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "SC grants stay on demerger scheme of Duphar Interfran". hindu.com. 3 June 2001. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Biological E. founder dead". Thehindubusinessline.in. 15 May 2000. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Biological E Board inducts 3 new Directors on the board and appoints Mahima Datla as Managing Director". business-standard.com. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Biological E looks to raise up to $60 million". EconomicTimes.com. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "CCMB in landmark pact with Biological Evans". Thehindubusinessline.in. 15 May 2000. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "BE launches JE vaccine". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2012-010-14. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "GSK in 50:50 JV with Biological E for developing paediatric vaccine". EconomicTimes.com. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.