Biology of the Cell
|Biology of the Cell|
|Former name(s)||Journal de Microscopie (1962–1974); Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (1975–1976); Biologie Cellulaire (1977–1980); Biology of the Cell (1981–present)|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Biol. Cell|
|Edited by||H. Beverley Osborne|
|Publisher||Biochemical Society on behalf of the Société Française des Microscopies and the Société de Biologie Cellulaire de France|
|Open access||After 12 months|
Biology of the Cell is a peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field of cell biology, cell physiology, and molecular biology of animal and plant cells, microorganisms and protists. Topics covered include development, neurobiology, and immunology, as well as theoretical or biophysical modelling.
The journal first appeared in 1962 and was originally titled Journal de Microscopie (1962–1974). In 1975, the related Journal de Microscopie et de Spectroscopie Électroniques was started and the journal was retitled Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (ISSN 0395-9260; 1975–1976). It was later retitled Biologie Cellulaire (ISSN 0399-0311; 1977–1980), becoming Biology of the Cell in 1981. The journal was published by Elsevier between 1986 and 2004.
Articles were originally published in either English or French, with summaries in both languages.
Content from 1988 is available online in PDF format, with papers from 2005 also being available in HTML, and from 2006 in an enhanced full-text format. Papers are currently available free 12 months after print publication.
The journal's 2009 impact factor was 3.752. Biology of the Cell is indexed by BIOBASE, BIOSIS, CAB International, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Chemical Abstracts Service, Current Contents/Life Sciences, EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, MEDLINE/Index Medicus, and ProQuest Information and Learning
- Osborne HB. (2005) What's new for Biology of the Cell in 2005? (Editorial) Biol Cell 97: 1–2 (accessed 23 October 2007)
- NLM: LocatorPlus: Journal de microscopie (accessed 24 October 2007)
- JournalSeek: Journal de Microscopie et de Biologie Cellulaire (accessed 23 October 2007)
- NCBI Journals: Biologie cellulaire (accessed 23 October 2007)
- Institut André Lwoff: Library's Catalog (accessed 23 October 2007)
- Biology of the Cell index page (accessed 30 December 2010)