The Biopôle Park is a science park of 80,000 square metres destined to host companies whose main activity is in the life sciences field. It is located in Épalinges, to the north of Lausanne and is the first of its kind in French-speaking part of Switzerland.
Biopôle offers space for industrial, R&D or administrative use. The Biopôle site is located at the intersection of the large Lausanne campus, complementing the University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV), the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), the University of Lausanne and the major industrial concerns.
In 2004 the authorities founded the nonprofit privately run company Biopôle SA. In November 2005, the company presented its shareholders with the development plan of the site, together with its business plan. The aims of the company are to develop by the year 2015 more than 60,000 square metres of rental space, which would allow over 2,000 people to come and work on the site. In autumn 2007 work began on the first Biopôle building, and at the end of 2008 the first tenants moved in.
The park is composed of four zones:
- A1 The showcase area: 3 main buildings covering 10,000 square metres and containing the Biopôle offices and the first companies that have chosen to occupy the site.
- A2 La Corniche: 24,000 square metres dedicated to technology, R&D activities, biotechnology or life sciences.
- A3 La Terrasse: 23,000 square metres allocated to offices or laboratories.
- A4 Le Plateau: 13,000 square metres, operational from 2013
- RCE The Epalinges Research Centre: adjacent to the Biopôle area, compleing the park
Biopôle in figures
- 80,000 square metres
- Less than 2 hours from European capitals
- 50 km from the airport
- In the vicinity of four universities and eleven specialised schools and institutes
- 17 companies installed
- Biopôle SA
- Foundation ISREC
- Kery Bio-Pharma
- Incito Communication
- Preclin Biosystems AG
- Legacy Healthcare Sàrl
- Stemedica International
- Pharmacie Capitole
- Centre de transfusion sanguine
- University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV)
- Fiduciaire BDO
- Canale Sàrl
Scientific and university partners
- University of Lausanne (UNIL)
- Centre hospitalier universitaire vaudois (CHUV)
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bâtiment Biopôle.|