Biotechnology Industry Organization
Its members include companies that make Pharmaceutical drugs, biofuels, industrial enzymes, and genetically modified crops. It was founded 1993 in Washington, D.C. and Carl B. Feldbaum was the president from BIO's founding until he retired in 2004, and was succeeded by James C. Greenwood. As of 2013, it represents 1,000 biotech companies in all 50 U.S. states, which employ 1.61 million Americans and support an additional 3.4 million jobs.
BIO holds a trade meeting each year in the United States, which are essential for the business development and partnering activities that are required in the biotechnology sector, in which it is expensive to develop products, timelines to develop products are long, and regulatory risks are high. In 2013 the conference was held in Chicago and was attended by 13,594 delegates from 47 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and 62 countries.
In 2013 it spent $1.98 million on lobbying in the United States. Issues included the amending the Internal Revenue Code to provide an exception from the passive loss rules for investments in high-technology research small business pass-through entities, to include vaccines against seasonal influenza within the definition of taxable vaccines, and to extend, expand, and improve the qualifying therapeutic discovery project program that first became law in 2010.
Example of its public lobbying efforts, include support for development of biofuels such as those produced from algae, genetically modified crops, strong intellectual property rights, and for a more efficient and predictable regulatory process for new food and drug products.
In June 2013 it partnered with the Coalition of Small Business Innovators to lobby the U.S. government to modernize the U.S. tax code "to recognize and promote small business innovation as fundamental to the long-term growth of the U.S. economy".
It is a member of The Alliance to Feed the Future, an umbrella network, the mission of which is to "raise awareness and improve understanding of the benefits & necessity of modern food production and technology in order to meet global demand".
- Anna Edney, "Biosciences Defy U.S. Jobs Slump as Research Labs Hire", Bloomberg News, June 19, 2012.
- European Biotechnology Network. "List of European and International Biotech Industry Associations"
- "GEN's 30th Anniversary: Biotech Trade Associations", Genetic Engineering News, June 15, 2011.
- "BIO profile at Biospace"
- "BIO President Carl Feldbaum to Retire at Year End" (Press release). Biotechnology Industry Organization. 2 February 2004. Retrieved 15 July 2009.
- "Biotechnology Industry Organization Joins Coalition of Small Business Innovators", BIO Press Release, June 4, 2013.
- Steven Overly for the Washington Post. April 28, 2013 The Download: Rachel King named chairwoman of Biotechnology Industry Organization board
- Staff, BIO. BIO Executive Committee Page Accessed June 7, 2013
- Staff, BIO BIO Senior Staff Page Accessed June 7, 2013
- Robert Weisman, "Biopharmaceutical industry faces a shift in dynamics", Boston Globe, April 23, 2013.
- BIO Press Office. April 25, 2013 2013 BIO International Convention Closes in Chicago with Record Number of Partnering Meetings
- Bradley J. Fikes, "Biotech convention builds relationships, business", San Diego Union Tribune, April 25, 2013.
- "The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) and the China Center for Pharmaceutical International Exchange (CCPIE) Announce Strategic Partnership to Expand the BIO Convention in China", BIO Press Office. April 18, 2013
- "BIO India Conference showcases growing Indian biotech industry", BIO Press Release. September 7, 2010.
- Staff, Flanders BIO. "BIO-Europe® 2013 - 19th Annual International Partnering Meeting"
- Staff, The Center for Responsive Politics. "Lobbying: Biotechnology Industry Organization", Page Accessed June 7, 2013
- The Center for Responsive Politics, "Bills lobbied", Page Accessed June 7, 2013
- Drew Armstrong, "Promising' Biotechnology Medicines May Earn $5 Million U.S. Tax Credit", Bloomberg News, May 21, 2010.
- Kambiz Foroohar for Bloomberg News. June 3, 2010. Exxon $600 Million Algae Investment Makes Khosla See Pipe Dream
- Elaine Watson, "It's not too late to change the conversation on GMOs: Interview with Cathy Enright, Executive VP for Food and Biotechnology, BIO", Food Navigator, May 20, 2013.
- Victoria Slind-Flor, "LG, DuPont, Bank of America, GM: Intellectual Property", Bloomberg News, December 3, 2012.
- Robert Weisman, "Federal drug review nettles biotech industry", Boston Globe, June 19, 2012.
- "Coalition of Small Business Innovators Official Website"
- Alliance to Feed the Future Official Website
- PR Web. Monday, March 18, 2013 "Alliance to Feed the Future Congratulates Our Farmers, Supports Education for Future Generations on National Agriculture Day"