Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry
|Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Biotechnol Appl Biochem|
|J Appl Biochem (1979–85); Biotechnol Appl Biochem (1986–date)|
|Frequency||6 per year|
Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry is a peer-reviewed academic journal in the field of biotechnology applied to medicine, veterinary medicine and diagnostics. Topics covered include the expression, extraction, purification, formulation, stability and characterization of both natural and recombinant biological molecules.
As of 2013, Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry is published by Wiley-Blackwell, on behalf of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
The journal was first published in 1979 under the title Journal of Applied Biochemistry (ISSN 0161-7354) by Academic Press, and assumed its present title in 1986. In 1993, publication was taken over by Portland Press (part of the Biochemical Society). Originally publishing papers in general applied biochemistry, the journal changed its scope to focus on diagnostics and therapeutics. From 2007 to 2010, there were nine print issues per year, in three volumes, with monthly online issues.
Former Editors-in Chief include Peter Campbell (University College London, UK) (before 1996), Roger Lundblad (formerly of Baxter Biotech, Duarte, California, USA) (1996–2002), and Parviz A. Shamlou (Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, USA) (2003–2012).
As of 2013, Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry appears six times a year. Content from 1998 is available online in PDF and HTML formats, with papers from 2005–2010 additionally being available in an enhanced full-text format (EESI-View). Content up to the end of 2010 is available online free at the Portland Press archive; most content published subsequently requires a subscription for access. The journal has introduced the facility for authors to pay for their papers to be available freely online.
The journal's 2009 impact factor was 1.239, with a ranking of 107 out of 152 journals in the ISI Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology category. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry is indexed by BIOBASE/CABS, BIOSIS, CAB International, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Dechema, EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, MEDLINE, International Food Information Service, IFIS Publishing and the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).
- NLM LocatorPlus: Journal of applied biochemistry (accessed 24 October 2007)
- International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry (accessed 18 October 2007)
- NLM LocatorPlus: Biotechnology and applied biochemistry (accessed 24 October 2007)
- Portland Press: Biotechnology & Applied Biochemistry: Index (accessed 23 January 2013)
- Wiley: Biotechnology and Applied Biotechnology: Index (accessed 23 January 2013)
- Wiley: Biotechnology and Applied Biotechnology: Editorial Board (accessed 23 January 2013)
- Wiley: Biotechnology and Applied Biotechnology (accessed 23 January 2013)