Biotechnology and Bioengineering
|Biotechnology and Bioengineering|
|Former name(s)||Journal of Biochemical and Microbiological Technology and Engineering|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Biotechnol. Bioeng.|
|Discipline||Biotechnology, bioengineering, biochemical engineering, microbiology|
|Edited by||Douglas S. Clark|
|Publisher||John Wiley & Sons|
Biotechnology and Bioengineering is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering biochemical engineering science that was established in 1959. In 2009, the BioMedical & Life Sciences Division of the Special Libraries Association listed Biotechnology and Bioengineering as one of the 100 most influential journals in biology and medicine of the past century.
The journal focuses on applied fundamentals and application of engineering principles to biology-based problems. Initially, fermentation processes, as well as mixing phenomena and aeration with an emphasis on agricultural or food science applications were the major focus. The scale up of antibiotics from fermentation processes was also an active topic of publication.
Elmer Gaden, Jr. was editor-in-chief of the journal from its initial publication until 1983. Daniel I.C. Wang and Eleftherios T. Papoutsakis each subsequently held this position. Douglas S. Clark, the current editor-in-chief, has served in this capacity since 1996.
This journal was formerly known as Journal of Biochemical and Microbiological Technology and Engineering (J. Biochem. Microbiol. Technol. Eng.) and first published in February of 1959 and with ISSN 0368-1467.
- "Top 100 Journals in Biology and Medicine". 2009.
- Stankus, T. "The DBIO 100: The BioMedical & Life Sciences Division Honors SLA’s Centennial with Recognition of 100 Journals that Have Led the Way In Biology & Medicine Over the Last Century". 2009.
- Humphrey, A., "Shake Flask to Fermentor: What Have We Learned?" Biotechnology Progress, 1998. 14(1): p. 3-7.
- Biography of Elmer L. Gaden 2009.
- The Daniel I.C. Wang Group. 2010.
- Hatton, T.A., "Daniel I.C. Wang: A tribute to an inspirational leader and colleague". Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2006. 95(2): p. 262-269.
- Biography of Terry Papoutsakis. 2010.
- CASSI. American Chemical Society. 2013.