27 May 1928|
Kangra, Punjab, British India
|Died||30 August 2014
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
|Awards||Padma Bhushan (2010)|
Bipan Chandra (27 May 1928 – 30 August 2014) was an Indian historian, specialising in economic and political history of modern India. Professor of modern history at Jawaharlal Nehru University, he specialized on the Indian independence movement and is considered to be one India's foremost scholars on Mahatma Gandhi. He authored several books, including The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism.
Early Life and education
Chandra was born in 1928 at Kangra in Punjab, British India (now in Himachal Pradesh). He was educated at Forman Christian College, Lahore, Stanford University, USA and the University of Delhi, where he completed his Ph.D. under the supervision of Professor Bishweshwar Prasad.
He taught for many years as Lecturer and then as Reader at Hindu College, Delhi. He became Professor of History at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, soon after the university was founded. He founded the journal Enquiry and was a member of its editorial board for a long time.
He was a Sectional President and then the General President of the Indian History Congress in 1985. He was Chairperson of the Centre for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He became a Member of the University Grants Commission in 1993. He was the Chairman of the National Book Trust, New Delhi from 2004 to 2012.
He was at the forefront of the communist struggle in India since independence. He collaborated with historians like R.S. Sharma, Satish Chandra, Romila Thapar, Irfan Habib, Barun De and Arjun Dev, whose text books were prescribed in Indian schools for a long time.
- The Making of Modern India: From Marx to Gandhi, Orient Blackswan, 2012
- History of Modern India, Orient Blackswan, 2009
- Communalism: A Primer, (New Delhi, 2004)
- In the Name of Democracy: The JP Movement and the Emergency, (New Delhi, 2003)
- Essays on Colonialism, (New Delhi, 1999)
- India Since Independence, (jointly with Mridula Mukherjee and Aditya Mukherjee), (New Delhi, 1999)
- Ideology and Politics in Modern India, (New Delhi, 1994)
- Essays on Indian Nationalism, (New Delhi, 1993)
- Essays on Contemporary India, (New Delhi, 1993)
- The Epic Struggle, (New Delhi, 1992)
- India's Struggle for Independence, 1857-1947, (New Delhi, 1989)
- Indian National Movement: The Long Term Dynamics, (New Delhi, 1988)
- Communalism in Modern India, (New Delhi, 1984)
- The Indian Left: Critical Appraisal, (New Delhi, 1983)
- Nationalism and Colonialism in Modern India, (New Delhi, 1979)
- Freedom Struggle, (jointly with Amalesh Tripathi and Barun De), (New Delhi, 1972))
- The Rise and Growth of Economic Nationalism in India: Economic Policies of Indian National Leadership, 1880-1905, (New Delhi, 1966)
- "Bipan Chandra and Andre Beteille Appointed as National Research Professors". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. January 2, 2007. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Padma Awards Directory (1954–2013)". Ministry of Home Affairs. 14 August 2013. p. 153.
- Ravi Bhushan (1992). Reference India: biographical notes on men & women of achievement of today & tomorrow. Rifacimento International. p. 139.
- "Historian Bipan Chandra dies at the age of 86". The Times of India. Aug 30, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- "Centre for Historical Studies, JNU". Jawaharlal Nehru University. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Bipan Chandra appointed NBT chairman". The Hindu. July 8, 2004. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- T.K.Rajalakshmi, Targeting History, in Frontline, Vol. 18, Issue 09, April 28-May 11, 2001
- D.R. Chaudhry (2002-04-28). "Critiques galore!". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "Historian Bipan Chandra Dies At The Age of 86". NDTV. 30 August 2014.
- "Historian Bipan Chandra is dead". 30 August 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Mukherjee, Bipan Chandra, Mridula Mukherjee, Aditya (2008). India since independence (Rev. ed. ed.). New Delhi: Penguin Books. p. 771. ISBN 9780143104094.