Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (November 2009)|
|Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute|
Veritas Omnia Vincit
Truth Conquers All
|3663 Danforth Avenue
Birch Cliff, Scarborough, Ontario, M1N 2G2, Canada
|School number||4118 / 895016|
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Scarborough Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Elizabeth Moyer|
|Vice Principals||Ruth Burden
|Chief custodian||W. Heibert (chief)|
|School type||Public high school|
|Team name||Birchmount Park Panthers|
|Colours||Blue, Gold, Black and White|
|Homepage||Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute|
Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute (Birchmount Park CI, BPCI, or Birchmount Park) is a high school located in Scarborough, a part of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It operates under the Scarborough Board of Education with the latter board merged into the present Toronto District School Board. The school sits atop the Scarborough Bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario and Birchmount Park itself.
To provide additional crowds in the southern Scarborough community, Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute was constructed in May 1963 and accepted by the Scarborough Board of Education in July 1964. The school, as the tenth collegiate, opened its doors on September 8, 1964 and since undergone a revitalization program as the Library and the Technical shops have been refurbished and modernized. At the same time, the school expanded its computer and display capabilities to increase the ease with which computer technology is integrated into all programs. The combined effect is to enhance literacy development within the school and increase differentiated learning opportunities for students.
Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute's Adult Re-Entry program for the Scarborough Board of Education was established in November 1977 with one teacher and fifteen students that evolved into Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies in September 1986 opened at Tabor Park Vocational School on Midland Avenue.
Birchmount Park Collegiate is located in a 9.057 acre site. The structure is combined with load-bearing walls and steel-frame construction as well as window area reduced to save costs (although the design bear resemblance to Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts).
The 181,114 square foot campus has 22 classrooms, lecture room, music room, drama room, six science labs, art room, home economics room, a library, three gymnasia (that can be partitioned into smaller gyms), a weight room, 1045-seated auditorium built in a style of a theatre, cafeteria with kitchen, administrative and guidance offices, and technical shops for automotive, carpentry and metal. Attached to Birchmount Park is Birchmount Stadium with the 400m race track and sports field with artificial turf.
The school is renowned in Scarborough for BEAP (Birchmount Exceptional Athlete Program) which began in September 1989 and continues to draw superior athletes to the school.
In the mid eighties the school was a leader in athletics. However, in the 1990s teams and individuals dropped off and performed adequately as the BEAP program began to "find itself". By 2002 the school was once again atop the leader boards in athletics. With the BEAP, Variety Village, Birchmount Stadium, and Phoenix Athletic Association at its disposal, they have once again returned to a powerhouse in Track & Field since 2005.
- Chris Morris, OT Edmonton Eskimos
- The Weeknd, R&B Singer
- Michael Cheung, Hong Kong's sport therapist
- Clifton Dawson, Professional football player
- Jemal Thompson, Professional football player
- Anthony Stewart, Professional hockey player
- Wayne Simmonds, Professional hockey player
- Justyn Warner, Olympian, Professional track athlete, Olympian
- Nikkita Holder, Olympian, Professional track athlete,
- Ian Warner, Olympian
- Aaron Brown, Olympian
- Peter Zezel, Professional hockey player (deceased)
- Devante Smith-Pelly, Professional hockey player
- Tyler Toffoli, Professional hockey player
- Crispen Duenas, Olyimpian, Archer
- Chris Monaghan, Team Canada Ball Hockey 2013
- Jeff Cowan, professional Baseball player
- Tim Smith, Professional Baseball player
- "Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute School Profile" (PDF). Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Welcome to Birchmount Park CI". Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute. 2009-05-12. Retrieved 2009-05-24.