Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – Goa Campus
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2014)|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani - K K Birla Goa Campus|
|Motto||ज्ञानं परमं बलम्
gyanam paramam balam
|Motto in English||"Knowledge is the Supreme Power"
|Established||Goa campus-2004,Pilani campus-1929|
|Chancellor||Kumar Mangalam Birla|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Bijendra Nath Jain|
|Director||Prof. K.E Raman|
|Location|| Goa, India
|Campus||Semi-urban,188 acres (0.76 km2)|
|Affiliations||Campus of BITS Pilani|
|Molecule (Sciences), Lotus (Humanities), Rocket (Technology)|
Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani - K.K.Birla Goa Campus (also known as BITS Pilani, Goa Campus or BPGC) is a technical and science institute for higher education in India, located in Goa, India. Founded in 2004, the institute is one of four campuses of the university BITS Pilani. As a campus of BITS Pilani, Birla Institute follows the curriculum, teaching methodology, and educational practices of BITS Pilani, including the Practice school system. The Aditya Birla Group privately supports the residential features of the institute.
In April 2011, following the August 2008 death of the Chancellor, Krishna Kumar Birla, the campus was renamed to Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani K. K. Birla Goa Campus in his memory. In August 2011, the campus held its first ever convocation ceremony, during which 580 graduates were awarded their degrees.
Admission and demographics
Since 2005, admissions to BITS Pilani have been based on the performance in the BITS Admissions Test (BITSAT), an all India entrance examination held throughout the country. BITSAT is a computer based test and is held at BITS authorised test centres. The examination chiefly covers topics, based on the NCERT higher secondary curriculum, in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, and reasoning and analytical skills in Logic and English. Any student having a minimum aggregate of 75% in Physics, Maths and Chemistry, and a minimum of 60% marks in each of the BITSAT subjects individually is eligible to apply to the campus.
BITS Pilani also offers direct admission to State and National Board top performers from India. BITS Pilani follows a strict No Reservation policy and admissions are made purely on merit of the candidate in BITSAT.
The academic course structure is governed by the university of BITS Pilani. However, each campus has its own autonomous administration, student welfare division, faculty recruitment and placement division.
Integrated First Degree
BITS Pilani Goa Campus offers 4-year first degree programs.
|List of programmes in BITS Pilani, Goa Campus|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.)|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering|
|Master of Science (Hons.)|
- Chemical Engineering
- Design Engineering
- Embedded Systems
- Software Systems
Dual degree system
In addition to the integrated first degree programmes, BITS Pilani offers a dual degree to the students of Master of Science programmes. The dual degree is offered in one of the engineering programmes after freshman year. The engineering degree being offered is based on the student's choice and his/her academic performance. Under the dual degree scheme, a student is offered two separate degrees on graduation : a degree in Master of Science (Hons.) and in Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.)
However, the programme increases the duration of his/her stay on campus by at least two semesters. The compulsory disciplinary courses of the second programme are completed in the seventh and eighth semesters. The final year (ninth and tenth semester) is dedicated for two, semester long, off campus industrial training internships or master's thesis.
In addition to the dual degree system, one also has the vertical transfer system.
- If one is in the top 10 students of the campus in terms of CGPA after their first year, then it is allowed for the student to take a B.E. + B.E. dual degree.
- If one is in the top 30 students of the campus in terms of CGPA after their first year, one can abandon their degree for another, i.e. transfer from one programme to another.
- MSc. + MSc. dual degrees are also offered.
Practice School (PS) is a programme of the university of BITS Pilani. It is offered by the Pilani, Hyderabad and Goa campuses. The Practice school programme constitutes of PS-1 and PS-2.
PS-1 is offered in the summer following the second year and is 8 weeks long. The aim of PS-1 is to familiarise the student with the work environment and technical standards in the industry. PS-2 is offered in the final year and is five and a half months long. Students are intended to assume a significant role and are meant to work on developmental projects in the company. The primary aim is to prepare the students in their final year to the environment and industry standards similar to their eventual workplaces. Every student is assigned a PS mentor at the industry for guidance and monitoring progress.
PS is a mandatory course, and has to be credited by every graduating student (unless he/she is doing a thesis). The students are graded by the off-campus BITS faculty and the PS mentor. The allocation is based on the academic record of the student and is managed centrally. Every PS station roughly accommodates 6-7 students.
- Waves - National Level Cultural Festival
- Quark - National Level Technical Festival
- Spree - National Level Sports Festival
- "Practice School". BITS Pilani. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "BITS-Goa renamed after Dr KK Birla". Hindustan Times. 2011-04-21. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "Convocation Report.". 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- First Degree Programs offered at BITS, Pilani Goa Campus
- "BITSAT 2013". BITS Admissions. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Integrated First Degree". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Higher Degree". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Doctoral Programmes". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Higher Degrees offered at BITS, Pilani Goa Campus
- "Dual Degree in BITS Pilani". LearnHub. 2013-05-25. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "RSP Design Group".
- Raju Nayak (2006-05-06). "BITS Goa Innaug". Indian Express. Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- "Rock bands, fashion show light up 'Waves 2011'". The Times of India. 2011-11-06. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Kalam to attend BITS Pilani's tech fest". The Times of India. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 29 January 2009.
- "SPREE 2009- Sports Festival of BITS-Pilani, Goa Campus". The Times of India. 2009-04-03. Retrieved 3 April 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani - Goa Campus.|