Birsa Institute of Technology Sindri
BIT Sindri logo.
|Motto||Niyatan Kuru Karmatwam|
|Type||Educational and research institution|
|Director||Prof. S.K. Singh|
|Location||Sindri, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, area 400 acres (1.6 km2)|
BIT Sindri (formerly known as Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri but now Birsa Institute of Technology, Sindri) is a govt. engineering college in Jharkhand, India. BIT Sindri was at its helm in the 1970s and 1980s and it produced nation's best engineer during that era. It was equipped with most modern and latest lab. facilities which invited students from many engineering colleges including IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) for internship in BIT Sindri. BIT has received funding from the World Bank for Various of its projects and researches which attracts world's attention.
BIT was founded in 1949 under the name of the College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering at Patna. In 1950 it was shifted to Sindri and thus BIT Sindri was born with a Principal, three Professors and sixty students. During the initial years, the college had diploma programs in electrical and mechanical engineering.Prof.(Dr.) D.L. Deshpandey was the first Director of B.I.T., Sindri from Jan 1950 - April 1961, he wanted BIT Sindri to be the MIT of India hence he refused Indian Government offer to be the 1st Director of IIT's. The aim of the government to shift BIT to Sindri was to make it the first IIT of India, but, for political reasons, BIT remained as BIT.
In 1952, degree programs were introduced. In 1956 its name was changed to Bihar Institute of Technology, the name it had retained until Jharkhand and Bihar were separated in 2000. Over the years, degree programs in other branches of Engineering were added.BIT Sindri was first in ASIA to introduce "PRODUCTION ENGINEERING" branch in as early as 1955.
BIT Sindri is located on 400 acres (1.6 km2) of land in the industrial town of Sindri in Dhanbad district. Each branch has its own building and laboratories and each department has their own libraries and computer facilities. The campus has an auditorium, on-campus hospital, a library, a canteen, a cricket/football playground, a gymnasium, a branch of the State Bank of India with ATM facility, a post office, an STD/ISD phone booth, and a co-operative store.
The Sindri Town railway station is adjacent to the campus. There is a shuttle service between Sindri and Dhanbad four times a day. The other means of transportation from Dhanbad station to the campus are local taxis (also called trekkers), which have most hostels on their route.
The institute is fully residential. Mess are also good, as per the culture of BIT, Potato is famous dish in all the mess Professor's quarters and hostels are present on campus. The on-campus student housing consists of 25 hostels divided into A-Zone and B-zone, A-Zone mainly refers to Tiger Road and B-Zone is for 3rd year Hostels, including five girl's hostels, a separate postgraduate hostel, and a guest house.
B.I.T. Sindri clubs are:
- Eco Club : The Crusader Against Pollution.
- Sarjana, The Institute Magazine
- Literary Society: Promotes Literary skills among people
- Model Club
- Photographic Club
- Arts Club
- Leo Club: Organise FOYC every year
- Painting Wing
- Sports Club
- Gandhi Rachnatmak Samiti
- Rotaract Club
- Indian Society for Technical Education, BIT Sindri Chapter
- IETE, BIT Sindri Chapter
- SAE INDIA BIT Sindri Students Chapter
- BIT Cultural Society
- Kite Flying Society
National Societies are
Club activities include
- Prakriti ( Eco Club ) .. A bondage between Nature and Human
- Smriti Taru : the tree plantation program amongst Final Year students
- Cultural Fests: FIESTA,Sparsh, XENIUM, Nakshatra,YAMINI
- Photograph and painting exhibition: Drishti and Samarpan
- Tech Fest of BIT Sindri Sandhaan, Tech-udbhav, Triveni
- Tech Udbhav
- Mr and Miss Photogenic,
- Fresher of the Year
- SPANDAN WEEK
- Annual iaMock Test On GATE-
- Annual Mock Test On CAT
- Engineers Day celebration
- Pre-placement programs
- Free education to underprivileged chlidrens by Prayaas India [NGO]
- PRAYAAS INDIA is the shape given to efforts of the students of B.I.T. Sindri, Dhanbad who thought of the humanitarian aspects nurturing in their minds.Prayaas India is a Non-Governmental Organisation which came into existence on April 10, 2008, starting with 10 volunteers and 25 children for providing free and quality education to underprivileged children living in slums and villages near college campuses. The whole management of the organization is handled by BIT Sindri students. Apart from two-hours evening tuitions to more than 500 children, they are admitted in good private schools for formal education. At present Prayaas is run efficiently by the help of 70 volunteers and their initiatives reach to about 950 unprivileged children among 8 centers. Presently, Prayaas is run by self contribution of the volunteers and voluntary donations of other BITians. The volunteer allocate their spare time in evening to teach children.
The institute is administered by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of Jharkhand, and is academically affiliated to Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribag for conducting examinations and awarding degrees.
- CIVIL ENGINEERING
- ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- METALLURGICAL ENGINEERING
- PRODUCTION & INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
- MINING ENGINEERING
- ELECTRONICS & COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
- COMPUTER SCIENCE ENGINEERING
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
1.Heat power engineering 2.Machine Design 3.Production Technology
- ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
1.Power System 2.Control System
- METALLURGICAL ENGINEERING
1.Physical Metallurgy 2.Process Metallurgy
- CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
- CIVIL ENGINEERING
1.Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering 2.Structural Design
(Admissions are through GATE followed by interviews.)
Admission to Ph.D (Engineering) program in various engineering disciplines and interdisciplinary area is made through written test/interview conducted by the institute.
The BIT Sindri library has 1,500,000 books and an e-library resource center developed under the department of CSE and IT. The library is in a multi-storied building with amenities like elevators, internet facilities, and a computer department.
The library caters to the needs of the undergraduate and postgraduate students by subscribing to national and international journals. It has subscriptions to e-journals and e-books, and is open for 12 hours daily.
Placements at BIT Sindri
BIT Sindri, the only government engineering college in the state, made a record of sorts in 2011 when the total number of students securing jobs through campus recruitment crossed the 500 mark. Institute students were delighted when the TCS announced to give annual scholarship of Rs 10,000 to the topper of computer science and engineering branch. In 2010, the total number of students who had secured job through campus placement drive was 468. For 2012 batch students,IT major Tata Consultancy Services offered jobs to 201 students. The students have been offered a salary package of up to Rs 3.8 lakh per annum. But still there is huge Craze of GATE in the Campus and people score well in GATE every year.
B.I.T is ranked 1st in terms of return on Investment in India, and overall ranked 28th
- P B Chaudhary, Scientific Officer, Nuclear Fuel Complex Hyderabad, Department Of Atomic Energy
- Chittaranjan Dubey, Chief Engineer, Tata Steel, Jamshedpur.
- Ashok Kumar (1987–91, CS), Technical Director, Govt. of India, National Informatics Centre, Patna
- Shaibal Chatterjee, Executive Vice President, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited
- Dr. K. P. Singh. President and CEO. Holtec International, New Jersey, US
- Kamal Nath:CEO at Sify Technologies
- Ram Sharan Jha- Deputy Chief Executive, Nuclear Fuel Complex, Dept Of Atomic Energy, Hyderabad
- Rakesh Kumar Tiwary - CSC India
- Mansa Mahato - CSC India
- Vijay Kumar -Manager, PSB
- J.K. Varma - Vice President, Reliance
- Anil Kumar(1983), Project Director, Alstom, New Delhi, India
- Anand Kumar, Director (R&D), Indian Oil Corporation, New Delhi, India
- S K Singh -DRDO scientist, worked in General Electric,CEO at Genesis Futuristic Technologies Ltd.
- Avinash Sinha, Vice President, Syntel
- B. Ahmad, Senior Vice President, Sterlite Telecom, Ahmedabad, India
- Bijoy G. Chatterjee (EE), Director, Systems Research, National Semiconductor Corporation, US
- Dr. B. N. Singh (MET 1968), Chief Managing Director (CMD), Rastriya Ispat Nigam, Vishakhapatnam, India
- Dr. K. K. Srivastava (E&C 1961), Director, Defence Research Development Organization, Hyderabad, India
- K. Satya Narain (CE 1961), CMD, Engineers India Limited
- Meher Afroz, Senior Director at Microsoft Corporation
- Pradhan Sambhu Saran (EE 1960), recipient of Padmashree in 1998
- T N JHA VICE PRESIDENT I NDIA PESTICIDES LIMITED LUCKNOW
- Rajneesh Ranjan, Deputy Manager, Marketing, RailTel Corporation of India Ltd.
- Rajiv Bakshi, President, TATA Auto comp
- Rajiv Ranjan (EE 1969), President and CEO, Reliance Asset Reconstruction Company, Mumbai
- Ramesh K Gupta, C.O.O., TATA International
- Ravi Shankar (ME 1980), President and CEO, Dow Kokam, Midland, Michigan, US
- Rustam Ali (EE 1959), Advisor, Department of Telecom, Government of India
- Satish Chandra Kesari (CE 1987), Expert (Cryogenics and Air Separation), Bangalore
- Shrawan K Singh (ME 1961), Group Vice President, Xerox Corporation, US
- Subodh Narayan Jha (ME 1967), recipient of 2006 Raksha Mantri Award Govt of India, Retired Group General Manager(Director) of MIDHANI, Hyderabad
- Prof. Subodha Kumar (Mech 1994), Carol and G. David Van Houten, Jr. '71 Professor, Mays Business School, Texas A&M University, US
- Suman Kumar (ME 1973), Director, Hitech Group, Gurgaon
- Vibhash Kumar, Senior Vice President (Engg), Lanka IOC PLC
- Arbind kumar, Assist. Director B/R,IDSE/Min. of Defence.Allahabad.
- Prof. Vishwanath Sinha (E&C 1963), Deputy Director, IIT Kanpur
- Dr. Yogendra S Chadda (ME 1957), Retired Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Detroit Mercy, US
- Mr. Arvind kr.Srivastava,project manager, Technip,Abu dhabi,U.A.E.
- Kamal Nath, Head - Systems Integration India Sales, HCL Technologies Ltd
- Ajeet Das [ECE 1985] - Senior Director - Marketing, ARRIS, Atlanta, Georgia, US
- Prof B.S.Sahay-Founder Director-IIM Raipur
- Mr. Pankaj Kumar, Scientist, NPCIL,Mumbai
- Mr. Anil kumar, Director, Keynote Systems, San Mateo, California, US
- Mr. Sushil Kumar, Vice President, Oracle, Redwood City, California, US
- Mr. Mihir Kumar Das, DGM In-charge, Bokaro Steel Plant (SAIL), Bokaro, India
- Er. Prabhat Shrivatava,Additional General Manager , NTPC Limited
- Mr. Binay Kumar Singh, DGM, Telecom, Noida, India
- Arbind kumar(2003–07),Ast. Director,MES,Min. of Defence,Govt. of India
- Mr.S.N Verma-CHAIRMAN JSEB(EE,76)
- Mr.GP Sharma (1989 batch) -SUPRINTENDENT WCL (susdiary of COAL INDIA LIMITED)
- Mr. Alok Chandra, COO - JSW Steel Ltd.,Mumbai.
- Mr. Gangeshwar Jha, Retd. Director, Indian Ordnance Factories,Min. of Defence.
- Mr. Arvind Kumar Mishra (1979 entry batch) - General Manager, Sakha Engineers Pvt. Ltd. Gurgoan.
- Mr. Arvind Prasad General Manager(Construction) Kalpataru Power Transmission limited, gandhinagar, Gujrat
- Mr. Sudip Kumar, Civil 1986-90 Batch, Managing Director, Saakaar Construction Private Ltd., Patna
- Mr. Gurpartap Singh Soni 67-Met MD GP Singh and Assoc. Pte Ltd Singapore
- Mr. Ajay Kumar Nand, Civil 1986-90 Batch, IPS, Commissioner of Police, Asansol/Durgapur
- Mr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar, Production(1986–90),Dy.General Manager, Mazagon Dock Limited, Mumbai
- Mr. Rajesh Tiwary, Chem (1984–88), DGM(Production), ONGC, Ahmedabad
- Mr. Priya Nath Prasad, Project Manager, Engineers India Limited, New Delhi
- Mr. Susil Patro, Production (1990–94), Assistant Vice President, Barclays , Singapore
- Mr. Sanjiv Kumar Singh, DGM (Coal Gasification), JSPL, Angul
- Mr. Avanish Pandey 2004-2008 Mining Configuration Manager Intel India
- Mr. Shashi Shekhar,Scientist, Defenece Research & Development Organisation (DRDO),Ministry of Defence, Govt. of INDIA
- Golok Kr Simli , CS , Principal Consultant & Head - Technology, Ministry of External Affairs , GoI.
- Engineering college spells hope in Bihar village
- Web Page of Subodha Kumar
- Faculty: V Sinha