Bishop Paiute Tribe
The Bishop Paiute Tribe, formerly known as the Paiute-Shoshone Indians of the Bishop Community of the Bishop Colony is a federally recognized tribe of Northern Paiute and Timbisha Indians of the Owens Valley, in Inyo County of eastern California.
The Bishop Paiute Tribe has a federal reservation, the Bishop Community of the Bishop Colony (Bishop, California. The reservation is on the lower slopes and alluvial fan of the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains and is 877 acres (3.55 km2) in size. Approximately 1441 tribal members live on the reservation. The reservation was established in 1912. In 1990, 934 people were enrolled in the federally recognized tribe.), in the upper Owens Valley, above the city of
The tribe is governed by a democratically elected tribal council. The current administration is as follows:
- Council chairman: Dale "Chad" Delgado, Jr.
- Vice Chair: William "Bill" Vega
- Treasurer: Earleen Williams
- Councilmember: Monty Bengochia
- Councilmember: Jess Paco.
The Bishop Community traditionally spoke both the Timbisha language and Mono language, both of which are part of the Numic branch of the Uto-Aztecan language family. Timbisha is in the Central Numic and Mono is in the Western Numic divisions.
The tribe's headquarters is located in Bishop, California. The tribe is governed by an elected five-member tribal council. With over 2000 enrolled members, the Bishop Community is the Fifth largest Native American tribe in California. The tribe has its own tribal court and many programs for its members. For economic develop, the Bishop Community created the Paiute Palace Casino and Tu-Kah Novie restaurant in Bishop.
Owens Valley Paiute Shoshone Cultural Center
The tribe operates the Owens Valley Paiute Shoshone Cultural Center located in Bishop, California. The center displays art and artifacts from area Paiute and Shoshone tribes and has an active repatriation program through NAGPRA. Their museum store sells contemporary beadwork, basketry, jewelry, quillwork, and educational materials.
- "California Indians and Their Reservations: Bishop Reservation." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2011. Retrieved 11 Aug 2012.
- Pritzker, 241
- "Tribal Council." The Bishop Paiute Tribe. Retrieved 22 Dec 2011.
- "Northern Paiute." Four Directions Institute. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- "Tribal History." Bishop Paiute Tribe. 2009 (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- "Paiute Palace Casino Bishop." 500 Nations. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- OVPSCC-Museum. (retrieved 16 Dec 2009)
- Mono traditional narratives
- Mono language (Native American)
- Timbisha language
- Population of Native California
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.