Diocese of Cariboo
The Diocese of Cariboo was a diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia and the Yukon of the Anglican Church of Canada. Incorporated in 1914, the diocese ceased operations on December 31, 2001 after being forced into bankruptcy when the financial strain of legal costs associated with damage suits brought by former students of the Anglican-run St George’s Indian Residential School in Lytton, B.C., exhausted the diocese financially.
The parishes of the former Diocese of Cariboo are now the Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior and are overseen by a Suffragan Bishop to the Metropolitan. The Rt. Rev. Barbara Andrews, formerly Director of the Sorrento Retreat and Conference Centre in British Columbia, was elected Suffragan Bishop for the APCI on 30 June 2009 in succession to Bishop Gordon Light who served from 2004-2008. Bishop Andrews was consecrated at St Paul's Cathedral, Kamloops, on October 18, 2009.
The future organisational arrangements for the Anglican Parishes of the Central Interior are under investigation by the new bishop, who has identified a clear desire for autonomy on the part of the constituent parishes while appreciating the controversial nature of the re-establishment of a diocesan model.
Bishops of the Diocese of Cariboo
From 1914 to 1925 the diocesan was the Right Rev. Adam de Pencier, Bishop of Cariboo with New Westminster, until a sufficient endowment was raised for the election of the 1st Bishop of Cariboo.
- The Right Rev. Walter Adams, first Bishop of Cariboo, 1925-1934
- The Right Rev. George Wells, second Bishop of Cariboo, 1934-1941
- The Right Rev. Samuel Pollinger, third Bishop of Cariboo, 1941-1943
- The Right Rev. Frederic Stanford, fourth Bishop of Cariboo, 1943-1953
- The Most Rev. Ralph Dean, fifth Bishop of Cariboo, 1953-1973 (Metropolitan of the Province of British Columbia and the Yukon, 1971-1973)
- The Right Rev. John Snowdon, sixth Bishop of Cariboo, 1974-1991
- The Right Rev. Jim Cruickshank, seventh Bishop of Cariboo, 1992-2001
Source: Archives of the Diocese of Cariboo
- Nancy Devine, "Pioneering spirit drives diocese on", Anglican Journal, April 1, 1999.
- Kathy Blair, "Diocese of Cariboo plans own shutdown", Anglican Journal, September 1, 2000
- Marites N. Sison, "New suffragan bishop brings unique point of view to her ministry", Anglican Journal, October 29, 2009.
-  The British Columbia Archival Information Network