Bishop of Wakefield
The Bishop of Wakefield is the ordinary of the Church of England Diocese of Wakefield in the Province of York. The diocese based in Wakefield in West Yorkshire, covers Wakefield, Barnsley, Kirklees and Calderdale. The see is centred in the City of Wakefield where the bishop's seat (cathedra) is located in the Cathedral Church of All Saints, a parish church elevated to cathedral status in 1888.
The bishop's residence is Bishop's Lodge, Wakefield. The office has existed since the founding of the diocese in 1888 under Queen Victoria. The cathedral contains a memorial to Bishop Walsham How, the Bishop of Wakefield. The current (and last) bishop is the Right Reverend Stephen Platten, the 12th Bishop of Wakefield, who signs +Stephen Wakefield.
Upon the expected creation of the Diocese of Leeds in Easter 2014, approved by the General Synod on 8 July 2013, the see will be dissolved and its territory added to the new diocese, within which the suffragan see of Pontefract will be renamed for the Area Bishop of Wakefield.
List of bishops
|Bishops diocesan of Wakefield|
|1897||1928||George Eden||Translated from Dover|
|1928||1938||James Buchanan Seaton|
|1938||1946||Campbell Hone||Translated from Pontefract|
|1949||1958||Roger Wilson||Previously Archdeacon of Nottingham|
|1968||1977||Eric Treacy||Translated from Pontefract|
|1977||1985||Colin James||Translated from Basingstoke; later translated to Winchester|
|1985||1992||David Hope||Translated to London; later translated to York|
|1992||2002||Nigel McCulloch||Translated from Taunton; later translated to Manchester|
|2003||2014 (expected)||Stephen Platten ||Previously Dean of Norwich|
|Area Bishops of Wakefield|
|2014 (announced)||onwards||Tony Robinson, Bishop of Pontefract|||
Area Bishop of Wakefield
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 100th edition, (2007), Church House Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- The Diocese of Wakefield. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- The Church of England – Synod approves new Diocese of Leeds for West Yorkshire and The Dales
- Moving towards a new diocese for West Yorkshire and the Dales (Accessed 9 July 2013)
- Bradford Diocese – General Synod votes for new diocese (Accessed 9 July 2013)
- People. Bishop of Wakefield. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- The Transformation Programme – Archbishop appoints interim area bishops (Accessed 10 January 2014)
- "Historical successions: Wakefield". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 17 July 2012.