Bitser is a free file archiver and backup software application for Microsoft Windows. It can combine multiple files and folders into a single archive file to serve as a backup copy of the original data. It uses data compression to reduce the overall size of files and can provide password protection using encryption. It also has a password manager and a MD5/SHA-1 checksum calculator to verify file identity. Bitser was released in January 2009 and has had updates released every few months with new features and bug fixes. It uses 7-zip open source software to perform all of its underlying archiving functions.
- Extracts archives: ZIP,ZIPX,7Z,RAR†,ISO,MSI,VHD,GZIP,BZIP2,TAR,LZMA,LZMA2,NTFS,FAT,MBR, SquashFS,CramFS,APM,MSLZ,CAB,CHM,CPIO,DEB,LZH,NSIS,RPM,UDF,WIM,XAR,XZ,Z
- Creates archives: ZIP, 7-ZIP, EXE (supports self extracting and split archives)
- AES-256 bit encryption for secure backup.
- Supports multithreading on multiprocessor or multi-core systems
- Drag and drop support for adding and updating archives from the built in file explorer.
- Context menu access to archives from windows explorer
- Create or extract multiple zip files simultaneously from windows explorer.
- Convert archives between formats (full or partial conversion from any format to zip,7-zip or exe).
- Reports showing history of archived files, parameters used and comparisons of compression ratios, speeds, and sizes.
- Explorer style views of archives with source and destination folders accessible from a single window.
- MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksum calculator for windows file verification.
- Password Manager to store multiple passwords in a single AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encrypted file.
- Find and delete empty folders and sub-folders from windows explorer context menu.
- Calculate folder sizes of multiple selected folders from windows explore context menu.
- Supports Windows 8, 7, 2008, Vista, 2003, XP for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
- Interface can be translated into any language.
- Windows installer (msi).
†As of August 2014[update] the underlying 7-Zip engine did not support RAR v5 format.
- File Compression Programs Bitser
- A free tool for archiving and simple backups
- Bitser is an explorer styled archiving tool
- Bitser Review