Bitstream Charter is a serif typeface designed by Matthew Carter in 1987 for Bitstream Inc. Charter is based on Pierre-Simon Fournier’s characters, originating from the 18th century. Classified by Bitstream as a transitional-serif typeface (Bitstream Transitional 801), it also has features of a slab-serif typeface and is often classified as such.
Charter was originally optimized for printing on the low-resolution 300 dpi laser printers of the 1980s, and remains suitable for printing on both modern high-resolution laser printers and inexpensive lower resolution inkjet printers due to its strong, legible design. Its structure was optimised for low-memory computers and printers. In a 2013 interview, Carter explained that it used "a very simplified structure and a minimum number of curves, more straight-line segments... very economical compared to, say, Times New Roman." Due to its popularity, a new Charter Pro release of the typeface was released in 2004, with an expanded character set including additional symbols, ranging figures (old-style) and small capitals.
In 1992 Bitstream donated the Charter font, along with its version of Courier, to the X Consortium under terms that allowed the font to be modified and redistributed. This has resulted in open source derivatives of Bitstream Charter, including Charis SIL. Some consider Bitstream Charter to be one of the best free fonts available.
- "Typedia: Charter". Typedia. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Miñoza, Nicole (20 May 2014). "Introducing Source Serif: A new open source typeface from Adobe". Adobe Typekit Blog. Adobe Systems Incorporated. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Charter Postscript Font Metrics". Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (open source:one of many sources). Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Sharpe, Michael (July 2014). "Recent Additions to TeX’sFont Repertoire". Presentation to TUG, Portland.
- Middendorp, Jan. "Matthew Carter interview". MyFonts. Monotype. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Charter Pro". MyFonts. Monotype. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Stephen Gildea (March 29, 1992). "Bitstream contributes Type1 outlines for Charter and Courier fonts". Newsgroup: comp.archives. Usenet: r3j0kINNa64@agate.berkeley.edu. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Butterick, Matthew (2013). "Charter". Butterick’s Practical Typography. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
Media related to Bitstream Charter at Wikimedia Commons