|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Genre||Drama, Musical, Romance|
|Directed by||Trina Dayrit
John D. Lazatin
Desiree del Valle
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||173 (local)
|Running time||25–30 minutes|
|Original run||September 23, 2002 – May 23, 2003|
The series was re-aired in 2007–2008 through Kapamilya Channel.
Bituin was famously known for the line that Nora Aunor belts out in a high caliber dramatic scene: "Nasaan Nasaan si Bernadette at Melody?" ("Where, where is Bernadette... and Melody?") The line was repeated in movies, TV series, and comedy bars.
It was also known to have the highest rated episode with The Diva vs Supernova concert. It was aired three days after the initial concert with more than a 48.7 audience share.
In 2007 TFC ABS-CBN international affiliate KPTV re-aired the whole series from September 2007 to February 2008.
The series also had a crossover with Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay in 2003 in various episodes. In early March 2012 - June 2012 the series had a 2 hour back to back episodes shown weekdays internationally through Cinema One Global part of its Drama On Demand hour of requested Classic TV Programs as request by television viewers commercial free and uncut.
Laura Sandoval and Carmela Gaston are half sisters who grew up with Carmela's mom (Doña Virginia Gaston) not treating Laura right. When they grew older Carmela doesn't marry while Laura marries Badong. After their second child, she found out he had been cheating on her.
As a single mother she was struggling to support her two daughters Melody and Bernadette. When her eldest Melody becomes sick, Laura goes to Carmela asking for help, who says that she will help if she hands over Bernadette so she may raise her as her own. With no one left to turn to Laura does it.
Carmela left for the US to raise Bernadette and soon returns as a singer. In a concert, Laura knew their whereabouts. The kids grow up not knowing they are sisters. Melody notices that Laura is much closer to Bernadette, such as Laura teaching Bernadette to sing when she forbids Melody to do so. Bernadette becomes a star by recording Melody's voice and claiming it as her own. Both soon become singers. Melody finds her father and wins the heart of a young man named Dante.
In the end they all become a family: Badong and Laura find their love again, Carmela is no longer jealous of her sister, Doña Virginia gave the rightful will of her husband to Laura, Melody is a great singer and marries Josh Santana who is her singing partner, and Bernadette becomes a famous composer, especially the song she composed for her sister as a way to show she was sorry called "Sana Bukas"; she marries Dante, whom she fell in love with accidentally when she tried to help him win Melody's heart.
Cast and characters
- Nora Aunor as Laura Sandoval
- Cherie Gil as Carmela Gaston
- Carol Banawa as Melody Sandoval
- Desiree Del Valle as Bernadette Gaston
- Carlo Muñoz as Dante
- Michael Santana as Josh Santana
- Michael de Mesa as Salvador Sandoval
- Gardo Versoza as Diony
- Cherry Pie Picache as Olivia
- Celia Rodriguez as Doña Virginia Gaston
- Jessa Zaragoza as Andromeda
- Ronaldo Valdez as Amante Montesilverio
- Chat Silayan† as Elvira Montesilverio
- Tess Aquino as Madonna
- Frank Garcia as Alex Montesilverio
- Geoff Rodriguez as Dave Montesilverio
- Kuh Ledesma as Lyrica Luna
- Kristel Fulgar as young Melody
- Eliza Pineda as young Bernadette
- Efren Reyes Jr. as Arnel
- Ricardo Cepeda as Conrado
- Emilio Garcia as Ernesto
- Lui Villaruz as Boom
- John Apacible as Willy
- Perla Bautista as Ofelia
- Rodel Velayo as Jimmy
- Mat Ranillo III as Filemon Gaston
- Sylvia Sanchez as Eva
- Tado as King
- John Lapuz as Queenie
- Harlene Bautista as Tootsie
- Rochelle Barrameda as Leila
- Anita Linda as Rustica
- Jestoni Alarcon as Bienvenido Galang
- Gigette Reyes as Dra.Reyes
- Julia Clarete as Agnes Gandoza
- Romnick Sarmenta as Pepito
- John Lloyd Cruz as Atty. Yuri Orbida (from the character of Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay)
- Bea Alonzo as Atty. Kathrina Argos (from the character of Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay)
- Kris Aquino
- Boy Abunda
- Ogie Diaz as Ogie
- Carlos Agassi
- Robert Sena
- John Lesaca
- Franco Laurel
- Divo Bayer
- Cooky Chua
- Agot Isidro
- Christine Bersola-Babao
- Edu Manzano
Bituin was shown in the following countries with the title Star:
- Malaysia (In Malaysia, the series retain its original Filipino title)
Its highest rating was 48.7% for the "Ultimate Showdown: The Diva VS The Supernova" of Melody and Bernadette at the Araneta Coliseum, while the lowest was 29.5%, its fifth episode.