Matches he refereed include finals in the 2006 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship and matches in the UEFA Cup, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Champions League, FIFA Confederations Cup and UEFA European Football Championship. Kuipers is on the A-list (the top table) for football referees from the KNVB. Kuipers' father was also a referee.
On 14 January 2009 the leader of the technical staff of the referees of the KNVB, Jaap Uilenberg confirmed that Kuipers was promoted to the highest class within European football. Kuipers is one of the only three Dutchman who is active on the highest European level. He is enlisted FIFA referee since 2006.
At UEFA Euro 2012, Kuipers was notably in charge of the Group D match between France and co-hosts Ukraine. In that match, Kuipers took the rare step of suspending the match due to a torrential electrical storm.
He studied Business Administration at the Radboud University Nijmegen and besides adjudicating worked as co-owner of a three-C1000 supermarkets and a hair studio in Oldenzaal.
- WorldReferee.com - referee - Bjorn Kuipers - bio
- WorldReferee.com - Bjorn Kuipers matches
- Chelsea - Meet tonight's ref: Björn Kuipers
- Netherlands - B. Kuipers - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway
- "Scheidsrechter Kuipers promoveert naar hoogste klasse" op 14 januaari 2009 op sportweek.nl
- Bjorn Kuipers - Football Referee
- Burke, Chris (15 June 2012). "France find their stride to pick off Ukraine". Union of European Football Associations.
- Dawkes, Phil (15 June 2012). "Euro 2012: Sweden v England". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation).
- "Kuipers to referee UEFA Europa League final". UEFA.com. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
|UEFA Europa League Final referee
|This biographical article relating to Dutch football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|