December 30, 1950 |
University of Cambridge
Texas A&M University
|Alma mater||Aarhus University (MSc)
Churchill College, Cambridge (PhD)
|Thesis||Communication and control in distributed computer systems (1979)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Wheeler|
|Known for||Creating C++|
|Notable awards||Dr. Dobb's Excellence in Programming award (2008)|
Bjarne Stroustrup (Danish: [ˈbjɑːnə ˈsdʁʌʊ̯ˀsdʁɔb]; born 30 December 1950) is a Danish computer scientist, most notable for the creation and development of the widely used C++ programming language. He is a Distinguished Research Professor and holds the College of Engineering Chair in Computer Science at Texas A&M University, a visiting professor at Columbia University, and works at Morgan Stanley.
Stroustrup has a master's degree in mathematics and computer science (1975) from Aarhus University, Denmark, and a Ph.D. in computer science (1979) from the University of Cambridge, England. His thesis advisor in Cambridge was David Wheeler.
Stroustrup began developing C++ in 1978 (then called "C with Classes"), and, in his own words, "invented C++, wrote its early definitions, and produced its first implementation... chose and formulated the design criteria for C++, designed all its major facilities, and was responsible for the processing of extension proposals in the C++ standards committee." Stroustrup also wrote a textbook for the language, The C++ Programming Language.
Stroustrup was the head of AT&T Bell Labs' Large-scale Programming Research department, from its creation until late 2002. Stroustrup was elected member of the National Academy of Engineering in 2004. He is a Fellow of the ACM (1994) and an IEEE Fellow. He works at Texas A&M University as a Distinguished Professor where he holds the College of Engineering Endowed Chair in Computer Science. He is also a visiting faculty in Computer Science Department at Columbia University.
- Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup – Addison-Wesley Professional; 1st edition (29 December 2008); ISBN 0-321-54372-6
- The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup – Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 4th edition (23 May 2013); ISBN 0-321-563840
- The Design and Evolution of C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup – Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (29 March 1994); ISBN 0-201-54330-3
- The Annotated C++ Reference Manual by Margaret A. Ellis & Bjarne Stroustrup – Addison-Wesley Pub Co; (1 January 1990); ISBN 0-201-51459-1
- Bjarne Stroustrup pronounces his name
- Wong, William (29 October 2013). "Interview: Bjarne Stroustrup Discusses C++". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Wong, William (26 November 2013). "Bjarne Stroustrup: C++ Creator Keeps Developing". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage
- Stroustrup, B. (2010). "Viewpoint: What should we teach new software developers? Why?". Communications of the ACM 53: 40. doi:10.1145/1629175.1629192.
- Stroustrup, B. (1998). "The Real Stroustrup Interview". Computer 31 (6): 110–119. doi:10.1109/MC.1998.683014.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1979). Communication and control in distributed computer systems (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "David Wheeler". The Mathematics Genealogy Project. Department of Mathematics, North Dakota State University. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- The C++ Programming Language, B. Stroustrup, p.10
- Bjarne Stroustrup: Some Information about Bjorne Stroustrup.
- Texas A&M CSE Department's Faculty Directory
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Stroustrup in Google Scholar http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=bjarne+stroustrup
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bjarne Stroustrup.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Bjarne Stroustrup|
- Meet Bjarne Stroustrup (Video)
- List of interviews with Bjarne Stroustrup
- A hoax interview transcript with IEEE's Computer magazine.
- Computerworld Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup
- Bjarne Stroustrup's FAQ, Class