Black Butte Ranch, Oregon
|Black Butte Ranch, Oregon|
Black Butte Ranch Lodge with South Sister in background
|Elevation||3,350 ft (1,021 m)|
|Time zone||Pacific (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||Pacific (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1138180|
Black Butte Ranch is a census-designated place and unincorporated private resort community in Deschutes County, Oregon, United States. It is located in the Cascade Range, eight miles northwest of Sisters. The population was 366 at the 2010 census. Black Butte Ranch allows public access to its restaurant, golf courses and horse stables, but is primarily oriented to its year-round residents and seasonal guests.
The planned community of Black Butte Ranch was developed starting in 1970 by a subsidiary of Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company on the site of the former Black Butte cattle ranch directly south of Black Butte. The first residents arrived in 1971 and Black Butte Ranch post office was established the same year.
In 2001, estimated population of full-time, year-round residents was 337. During the peak tourist season, the population, including guests who do not own property but are renting residences within the community, is estimated to rise to 5,000.
Black Butte Ranch has been threatened by many wildfires, especially since 2002, when the Cache Mountain Fire burned two homes in the northwest corner of the ranch. Black Butte Ranch was once again threatened by the B&B Complex Fires in 2003, and in 2007 the GW Fire came within a quarter of a mile of some homes on the ranch.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Black Butte Ranch, Oregon.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Deschutes County Code
- "Black Butte Ranch". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 86. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "BBR residents to return today". Nugget Newspaper. 2002-08-02. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Cache Mountain Fire - Fact Sheet 7". US Forest Service. 2002-08-01. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "B and B Complex Morning Brief". US Forest Service. 2003-08-21. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "GW Fire: Black Butte Ranch evacuation underway". Nugget Newspaper. 2007-09-03. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Gw Fire Wildland Fire". Incident Information System. 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
|This Deschutes County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|