Black Dynamite (TV series)
Title card used in the series
|Theme music composer||Adrian Younge|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||15 (List of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Michael Jai White
|Running time||11 minutes (pilot only)
|Production company(s)||Ars Nova Entertainment
Titmouse (season 1)
N-BOMB SQUAD(season 2)
Cartoon Network Studios (season 2)
MOI Animation (season 2)
Trigger (season 2 opening) Williams Street
|Original channel||Adult Swim Video (pilot episode)
|Picture format||16:9 HDTV|
|Original run||Pilot episode:
August 8, 2011
July 15, 2012 – present
|Preceded by||Black Dynamite (2009 film)|
Black Dynamite is an American animated television series based on the 2009 film of the same name, although the series follows a separate continuity, with some back-references to the film. The series was announced shortly after the release of the film, the 10-minute pilot episode was released on Adult Swim Video on August 8, 2011, and the full series premiered on Cartoon Network's late night programming block, Adult Swim, on July 15, 2012. Michael Jai White, Byron Minns, Tommy Davidson and Kym Whitley reprise their film roles as Black Dynamite, Bullhorn, Cream Corn and Honeybee, respectively.
The animated series is produced by Ars Nova. Jon Steingart, Carl Jones and Jillian Apfelbaum are executive producers, with Brian Ash as co-executive producer. Scott Sanders, White and Minns are producers. Monica Jones is associate producer. LeSean Thomas is creative producer/supervising director. The original music is by Adrian Younge.
The show is predominantly a parody of and tribute to blaxploitation cinema. The show continues the story of Black Dynamite and his crew of Bullhorn, Cream Corn, and Honey Bee as they engage in dangerous and over-the-top misadventures sometimes involving African-American stars such as Michael Jackson, when he was part of the Jackson 5, O. J. Simpson, Richard Pryor, Mr. T and other celebrities such as Elvis Presley, as well as Black Dynamite's recurring nemesis President Richard Nixon, who was also the main villain from the film. The show makes references to the original Black Dynamite film, such as Fiendish Dr. Wu as the leader of a group of ninjas; the show follows its own continuity, as some characters from the film who were killed off are alive in the series.
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|Pilot episode||September 2, 2012|
|1||10||July 15, 2012||September 23, 2012|
|2||10||October 18, 2014||TBA|
- Michael Jai White - Black Dynamite
- Byron Minns - Bullhorn
- Tommy Davidson - Cream Corn
- Kym Whitley - Honeybee
- Carlos Alazraqui - The Helicopter Pilot
- Eric Bauza - The Fiendish Dr. Wu
- Liz Benoit - Foxxy Mama
- Corey Burton - Dennis Flynn
- John DiMaggio - Rip Tayles
- Snoop Dogg - Leroy Van Nuys
- Godfrey - Al Sharpton
- Eddie Griffin - Richard Pryor, Paul Mooney
- Arsenio Hall - Tasty Freeze
- Samuel L. Jackson - Captain Quinton
- Charlie Murphy - A Cat Named Rollo
- Georgette Perna - Kids
- Clifton Powell - Crenshaw the Slime, Daddy Dynamite
- Donnell Rawlings - A Cat Named Rallo
- J. B. Smoove - That Frog Kurtis, That Bastard Kurtis
- Aries Spears - Laurence Tureaud, O.J. Simpson
- Gary Anthony Williams - George Washington Carver III
- Debra Wilson - Amazon Moon Bitch leader, Lil' Orphan Penny, Eartha K.I.T.T.
- Cedric Yarbrough - Chocolate Giddy-Up
- Chance The Rapper - Bob Marley
- Minovitz, Ethan (May 25, 2012). "AS Announces Largest Programming Schedule Ever". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- "BLACK DYNAMITE EXPLODES BACK ONTO ADULT SWIM". Turner Pressroom. September 17, 2014. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- Boyle, Christopher (November 17, 2009). "Interview With Black Dynamite Composer/Editor Adrian Younge". NewsLi. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Paine, Jake (Feb 14, 2010). "Black Dynamite Releases To DVD, Announces Adult Swim Series". HipHopDX. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Arceneaux, Michael (Jul 22, 2011). "Black Dynamite Trailer Released". BET. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "Hurray! 'Black Dynamite' coming to Adult Swim". Kansas City Star. Apr 6, 2011.
- Carp, Jesse (Aug 11, 2011). "Watch Adult Swim's Black Dynamite Animated Pilot, You Jive Turkey". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Adult Swim’s ‘Black Dynamite’ Renewed For Second Season" Deadline (December 20, 2012)
- Official website
- Black Dynamite at the Internet Movie Database
- Black Dynamite at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Black Dynamite at TV.com