Black Dynamite (TV series)
Title card card used in the series
|Created by||Michael Jai White
|Written by||Carl Jones
Michael Jai White
|Directed by||LeSean Thomas (supervising)
Young Ki Yoon
|Voices of||Michael Jai White
|Theme music composer||Adrian Younge|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (and 1 pilot) (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jon Steingart
|Producer(s)||Michael Jai White
|Running time||11 minutes (pilot only)
|Production company(s)||Ars Nova Entertainment
Titmouse, Inc. (season 1)
Cartoon Network Studios (season 2)
Studio Mir (season 2)
|Original channel||Adult Swim Video (original online release of the pilot)
|Picture format||16:9 HDTV|
|Original run||Orignal online release of the pilot:
August 8, 2011
July 15, 2012 – present
|Preceded by||Black Dynamite (2009 film)|
Black Dynamite is an American animated television series based on the 2009 film of the same name, although the series follows a separate continuity, with some back-references to the film. The series was announced shortly after the release of the film, the 10-minute pilot episode was released on Adult Swim Video on August 8, 2011, and the full series premiered on Cartoon Network's late night programming block, Adult Swim, on July 15, 2012. Michael Jai White, Byron Minns, Tommy Davidson and Kym Whitley reprise their film roles as Black Dynamite, Bullhorn, Cream Corn and Honeybee, respectively.
The animated series is produced by Ars Nova. Jon Steingart, Carl Jones and Jillian Apfelbaum are executive producers, with Brian Ash as co-executive producer. Scott Sanders, White and Minns are producers. Monica Jones is associate producer. LeSean Thomas is creative producer/supervising director. The original music is by Adrian Younge. The program is animated by Titmouse, Inc.
The series has been renewed for a second season, which is set to premiere in late 2013 or early 2014.
Like the movie, the show is predominantly a parody of and tribute to blaxploitation cinema. The show continues the story of Black Dynamite and his crew of Bullhorn, Cream Corn, and Honey Bee as they engage in dangerous and over-the-top misadventures sometimes involving African-American stars such as Michael Jackson, when he was part of the Jackson 5, O. J. Simpson, Richard Pryor, Mr. T and other celebrities such as Elvis Presley, as well as Black Dynamite's recurring arch-nemesis President Richard Nixon, who was also the main villain from the film. The show also makes references to the original Black Dynamite film, such as Fiendish Dr. Wu as the leader of a group of ninjas; however, the show follows its own continuity, as some characters from the film who were killed off are alive in the series.
|Michael Jai White||Black Dynamite|
|Tommy Davidson||Cream Corn|
|Cedric Yarbrough||Chocolate Giddy-Up|
|Snoop Dogg||Leroy Van Nuys|
|Corey Burton||Dennis Flynn|
|Arsenio Hall||Tasty Freeze|
|Eric Bauza||The Fiendish Dr. Wu|
|Eddie Griffin||Richard Pryor||Paul Mooney|
|J. B. Smoove||That Frog Kurtis||That Bastard Kurtis|
|Clifton Powell||Crenshaw the Slime||Daddy Dynamite|
|Aries Spears||Laurence Tureaud||O.J. Simpson|
|Liz Benoit||Foxxy Mama|
|Charlie Murphy||A Cat Named Rollo|
|Donnell Rawlings||A Cat Named Rallo|
|Debra Wilson||Amazon Moon Bitch leader||Lil' Orphan Penny||Eartha K.I.T.T.|
|Gary Anthony Williams||George Washington Carver III|
|Carlos Alazraqui||The Helicopter Pilot|
- Minovitz, Ethan (May 25, 2012). "AS Announces Largest Programming Schedule Ever". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- Boyle, Christopher (November 17, 2009). "Interview With Black Dynamite Composer/Editor Adrian Younge". NewsLi. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Paine, Jake (Feb 14, 2010). "Black Dynamite Releases To DVD, Announces Adult Swim Series". HipHopDX. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Arceneaux, Michael (Jul 22, 2011). "Black Dynamite Trailer Released". BET. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "Hurray! 'Black Dynamite' coming to Adult Swim". Kansas City Star. Apr 6, 2011.
- Carp, Jesse (Aug 11, 2011). "Watch Adult Swim's Black Dynamite Animated Pilot, You Jive Turkey". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Adult Swim’s ‘Black Dynamite’ Renewed For Second Season" Deadline (December 20, 2012)
- Official website
- Black Dynamite at the Internet Movie Database
- Black Dynamite at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Black Dynamite at TV.com