Black Hawk County, Iowa
|Black Hawk County, Iowa|
Black Hawk County Courthouse in Waterloo
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Black Hawk|
|• Total||571.91 sq mi (1,481 km2)|
|• Land||567.11 sq mi (1,469 km2)|
|• Water||4.80 sq mi (12 km2), 0.84%|
|• Density||231.2/sq mi (89.3/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Black Hawk County is a county located in the northeastern part of U.S. state of Iowa. The population was 131,090 in the 2010 census, an increase from 128,012 in 2000. Black Hawk County has the fourth largest population for counties in the state. The majority of the county's population resides in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls urbanized area. Waterloo, the county seat, is located approximately 65 miles (105 km) east of I-35 at the intersection of U.S. Highways 20, 63 and 218. The city of Cedar Falls is located approximately eight miles west of Waterloo.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 571.91 square miles (1,481.2 km2), of which 567.11 square miles (1,468.8 km2) (or 99.16%) is land and 4.80 square miles (12.4 km2) (or 0.84%) is water.
- Bremer County (north)
- Buchanan County (east)
- Benton County (southeast)
- Tama County (southwest)
- Grundy County (west)
- Butler County (northwest)
- Fayette County (northeast)
The 2010 census recorded a population of 131,090 in the county, with a population density of 231.20/sq mi (89.27/km2). There were 55,887 housing units, of which 52,470 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 128,012 people, 49,683 households, and 31,946 families residing in the county. The population density was 226 people per square mile (87/km²). There were 51,759 housing units at an average density of 91 per square mile (35/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 88.42% White, 7.95% Black or African American, 0.18% Native American, 0.98% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.93% from other races, and 1.49% from two or more races. 1.84% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 49,683 households out of which 29.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.20% were married couples living together, 10.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.70% were non-families. 27.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 23.10% under the age of 18, 15.70% from 18 to 24, 25.20% from 25 to 44, 22.00% from 45 to 64, and 14.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 92.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,266, and the median income for a family was $47,398. Males had a median income of $33,138 versus $23,394 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,885. About 7.90% of families and 13.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.40% of those under age 18 and 8.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
Black Hawk County is divided into seventeen townships:
- "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- United States Office of Management and Budget. "Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses" (PDF). pp. 5, 36. Archived from the original on 2006-05-14. Retrieved 2006-07-21.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- Black Hawk County Online
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Black Hawk County, Iowa.|
||Butler County||Bremer County||Fayette County|
|Grundy County||Buchanan County|
|Tama County||Benton County|