Black House (Church of Satan)
|Location||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Affiliation||Church of Satan|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||church|
|Church of Satan|
|The Satanic Bible · The Satanic Scriptures|
|Anton LaVey · Peter H. Gilmore · Peggy Nadramia · Blanche Barton|
|Atheism · materialism|
|Satanic magic · Sigil of Baphomet ·|
|The Nine Satanic Statements · The Nine Satanic Sins · The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth|
The Black House is a building that formerly stood at 6114 California St. in San Francisco, California, in the United States. The house was used by Anton LaVey as the headquarters of his Church of Satan from 1966 until his death in 1997. LaVey conducted Satanic seminars and rituals at the house; one of the most notorious such rituals was the Satanic baptism of his daughter Zeena Schreck in 1967, punctuated by LaVey speaking the words "Hail Zeena! Hail Satan!" over the nude body of a female acting as the 'Satanic Altar'.
Public ceremonies were performed at the house until 1972. LaVey lost ownership of the house in 1991 as the result of a court settlement resulting from his separation from Diane Hegarty, but LaVey was allowed to reside at the Black House until his death.
Following LaVey's death, members of the Church of Satan unsuccessfully attempted to raise funds to repurchase the house, and it was demolished on October 17, 2001. A duplex now stands in its place.
Though the building is sometimes referred to as a mansion, photographs of the building taken just before its destruction show that it was a moderately sized single family home, considerably smaller than the two small apartment buildings on either side of the property. According to public records, it was listed at 2,205 square feet (204.9 m2) and constructed in the year 1905.
- "The Satanic Mass/Zeena's Baptism Track A9 go to 3:42".
- "The Satanic Mass, Track A9 (Zeena's Baptism)". Murgenstrumm, 1968 Vinly LP.
- "A Brief History of the Church of Satan 7. Lucifer Rising". webcache.googleusercontent.com. 2011-08-02. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Home Details for 6114 California St, San Francisco, CA, 94121". Cyberhomes.com. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- A letter[dead link] penned by Blanche Barton in 1999 soliciting donations from Satanists to save the house
- A 1999 article[dead link] describing the legal battles over the house between LaVey's survivors.