Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
|"Black Jesus + Amen Fashion"|
|Song by Lady Gaga from the album Born This Way (Special Edition)|
|Released||May 23, 2011|
|Recorded||2010; Setai Hotel,
Miami Beach, Florida
|Label||Streamline, Interscope, Kon Live|
|Writer||Stefani Germanotta, Paul Blair|
|Producer||Lady Gaga, DJ White Shadow|
"Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" (stylized as Black Jesus † Amen Fashion) is a song by American recording artist Lady Gaga from the special edition of her second studio album, Born This Way (2011). Upon the release of the album, "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" debuted at number 172 on the UK Singles Chart on June 4, 2011, and on the Spanish Singles Chart at number 22 on September 9, 2011. According to Gaga, the song's lyrics speak about how she had an entirely new way of thinking after she moved to downtown New York when she was 19.
Background and recording
"Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" was written and co-produced by Lady Gaga (credited as Stefani Germanotta) and DJ White Shadow. Gaga explained the concept behind the songs lyrics, stating that it is "a representation of an entirely new way of living," which is based on the "eye-opening" experiences she witnessed while living in New York City. She continued, saying "It's all about saying a new way of thinking is as easy as putting on an outfit.".
Lady Gaga performed "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" during her third concert tour, the Born This Way Ball. During the first seven shows she performed the show after Scheiße, but during the third show in Tokyo she performed the show as the fourth song in the concert after "Born This Way". The intro to the song was slightly remixed. Gaga wore a latex outfit and performed a dance routine with her dancers and strutted around the Monster Pit and preaching unity, love and acceptance. 
Credits and personnel
- Lady Gaga - vocals, songwriter, producer, keyboards
- DJ White Shadow - songwriter, producer, programming, keyboards
- Brian Gaynor - programming, bass, drums, keyboards, guitars, percussion
- Dave Russell - recording at Setai Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida; audio mixing at The Mix Room, Burbank, California
- Gene Grimaldi - audio mastering at Oasis Mastering, Burbank, California
- Paul Pavao - assistant
Credits adapted from the special edition liner notes of Born This Way.
Upon the release of the album, "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" debuted at number 172 on the UK Singles Chart on June 4, 2011. On September 9, 2011, the song peaked on the Spanish Singles Chart for one week at number 22.
|South Korea Gaon International Chart||121|
|UK Singles Chart (Official Charts Company)||172|
- Anderson, Gretchen (2011). Born This Way (Special Edition) (Media notes). Lady Gaga. Santa Monica, United States: Streamline Records, Kon Live Distribution, Interscope Records. p. 10. 0602527718408.
- "ACE Title Search (Black Jesus + Amen Fashion, Lady gaga)". American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Serpe, Gina (May 7, 2011). "Lady Gaga Uncut: 'I'm Really Delusional About My Success'". E!. NBCUniversal. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- "Lady Gaga Debuts Born This Way Ball in South Korea". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "UK Singles Chart: CLUK Update (4.06.2011 – week 21)". Official Charts Company. June 4, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Lady Gaga - Black Jesus † Amen Fashion (song)". spanishcharts.com. Hung Medien. September 9, 2011. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week, May 22, 2011 to May 25, 2011)" (To access the applicable chart, change "년 (Year)" to "2011" and select the week) (in Korean). Gaon Chart. Retrieved 2012-05-17.