Black President (band)
Martucci (left) and Paulson (right) performing with Black President
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, hardcore punk|
|Associated acts||Bad Religion, Circle Jerks, Goldfinger, Guttermouth, The Strychnine Babies, Dee Dee Ramone, Bullets and Octane, Soulfly, Nausea, Stone Sour, The Chelsea Smiles, Amebix, Unwritten Law, Lagwagon, Rich Kids on LSD, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes|
|Past members||Greg Hetson
Pat "PK" Kim
The band was originally formed in late 2005 by Hetson and Paulson, who were joined by Jason Christopher (New Dead Radio) on bass and vocals, Roy Mayorga (Nausea) on drums, and Christian Martucci (The Strychnine Babies, Dee Dee Ramone) on vocals. Mayorga was unable to commit to the band due to previous commitments with Stone Sour. He was temporarily replaced by Wade Youman (Unwritten Law), and later by Ty Smith (Guttermouth, Bullets and Octane). Mayorga returned in time to record the debut album and has been permanently replaced by Dave Raun of Lagwagon.
On February 25, 2008, the band announced they had signed a deal with Cobra Music. At the time of the announcement, Hetson had left the band. Other members of the band cited Hetson's conflicting commitments with Bad Religion and Circle Jerks as the reason for his departure. Guitar duties were picked up by Martucci, reducing the quintet to a four-piece.
Their self-titled debut album was released September 16, 2008. The band also filmed a video for the song "Suspects." According to a MySpace blog post titled "in the war room," the band recorded 14 songs total: "12 originals, an alice cooper cover & a surprise track to be released early next year."
The band came up with the name before Barack Obama had announced his 2008 run for the United States presidency. The band addressed the name in a March 2008 MySpace blog post titled "our name & barack obama" [sic]:
|“||when we came up with the name of the band senator obama had not yet announced his intention to run for office. it was just our way of saying america needed a change & we could think of nothing more indictative of change in a racist, soulless system than a BLACK PRESIDENT. the sad truth is we don’t support ANY of the candidates at this point.||”|
—Black President, "our name & barack obama"
- Christian Martucci - Vocals, guitar (2005–present) (see also Dee Dee Ramone, The Chelsea Smiles)
- Charlie Paulson - Guitar (2005–present) (see also Goldfinger)
- Jason Christopher - Bass, vocals (2005–2007; 2008–present) (see also New Dead Radio)
- Dave Raun - Drums (2009–present) (see also Rich Kids on LSD, Lagwagon, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes)
- Greg Hetson - Guitar (2005–2008) (see also Bad Religion, Circle Jerks)
- Wade Youman - Drums (2006) (see also Unwritten Law)
- Ty Smith - Drums (2007) (see also Guttermouth, Bullets and Octane)
- Pat "PK" Kim - Bass (2007) (see also Unwritten Law)
- Roy Mayorga - Drums (2005–2006; 2008–2009) (see also Soulfly, Nausea, Stone Sour, Amebix)
- Black President (2008, Cobra Music)
- "Greg Hetson, Charlie Paulson form Black President." Punknews.org. November 6, 2006.
- Pfeiffer, John (April 15, 2009). "Shoreworld: Deena Shoshkes, Black President and Bouncing Souls". The Aquarian Weekly. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Black President signs to Cobra Music." Punknews.org. February 25, 2008.
- "Black President post video, new tracks, release date." Punknews.org. August 20, 2008.
- "Two Words With a Ring Of Possibility." Washington Post. June 4, 2008. Retrieved August 22, 2008.