Black and Gold (song)
|"Black and Gold"|
|Single by Sam Sparro|
|from the album Sam Sparro|
|Released||14 April 2008
(see release history)
|Format||7", 12", CD single, digital download|
|Length||3:32 (UK radio edit/single version)
4:37 (album version)
|Sam Sparro singles chronology|
"Black and Gold" is the lead single from Sam Sparro's eponymous first album. The song has been remixed by Max Sanna and Steve Pitron, Paul Epworth, Al Usher, Kings of the Universe, Kromatik, and Russ Chimes. The original version of the single was made available on iTunes on 23 March 2008, with the entire album available from 31 March. On 7 April, the CD, 12" and limited edition 7" singles were released. The song explores the relationship between reason, spirituality, and love. The song was written by Sam Falson & Jesse Rogg. The song was nominated for Best Dance Recording at the 2009 Grammy Awards.
The song was produced by Jesse Rogg and nominated for a 2009 Grammy Award in the category of "Best Dance Recording". It received two nominations for the 2008 ARIA Awards in the categories for "Breakthrough Artist - Single" and "Single of the Year". A music video was released to promote the single. The song was used in the 2009 movies Obsessed Soundtrack, and Fame, and is on the soundtrack of the video game, FIFA 09. There is also an acoustic version, which has been famously performed by artists such as Chloe Warren and Gary Go.
In a video interview, Sparro confirmed that the song's subject is his religious faith, saying "It is about God, yeah. [...] I do like to have faith in something that is bigger than me."
The music video for Black & Gold shows Sam Sparro emerging from a Limousine with many copies of himself in an underground garage. The Garage, illuminated by chains of lights, pulsates as Sparro and his copies dance, donning tuxedos decorated with lights. The video has a color theme of black and gold.
"Black and Gold" was made available as a download (via the Apple iTunes Store) on 23 March 2008 by Island UK Records through a licensing deal with independent Los Angeles based label, Modus Vivendi Music, which is run by producer Jesse Rogg.
"Black and Gold" originally appeared on the Modus Vivendi Music Vol.2  compilation album, released in 2007, along with "Sally" and Sparro's edit of another Modus Vivendi artist, Love Grenades. Modus Vivendi Music released an EP entitled Black & Gold in the fall of 2007 that garnered the attention that led to the deal with Island UK. Several songs from that EP, including "Black and Gold" and "Cottonmouth" appear in new revisions on the full length Sparro release with Island UK release in May 2008, "21st Century Life".
Canadian folk band City and Colour has added the chorus at the end of their song "Sometimes (I Wish)" during some live performances, including their televised performance on Bravo! Live at the Concert Hall.
|United Kingdom||14 April 2008|
|Europe||23 May 2008|
|Australia||24 May 2008|
|United States of America||10 June 2008|
|Australian Singles Chart||4|
|Austrian Singles Chart||52|
|Belgian Singles Chart||15|
|Czech Republic Singles Chart||32|
|Danish Singles Chart||10|
|Dutch Singles Chart||29|
|European Hot 100||5|
|German Singles Chart||29|
|Global Dance Tracks Chart||22|
|Irish Singles Chart||5|
|Italian Singles Chart||13|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||12|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||4|
|Turkey Singles Chart||5|
|UK Singles Chart||2|
|UK Dance (Official Charts Company)||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||13|
|UK Dance Chart||29|
|UK Singles Chart||91|
- UK CD Single
- Black and Gold (radio edit)
- 12" Single
- Black and Gold (Sanna & Pitron mix)
- Black and Gold (Al Usher remix)
- Black and Gold (Phones Hard as Diamonds dub mix)
The song has been covered live several times by Irish band, The Blizzards, and was covered by Adele and Guillemots, On a Sensual Note, an all male a cappella group at American University, the Chordials, a co-ed collegiate a cappella group at Cornell University, and The Unaccompanied Minors, a co-ed a cappella group at the University of Waterloo. Katy Perry covered the song during a live session on Australian radio station Nova FM. Ellie Goulding and Liam Payne have also covered this song. Payne covered the song during his gigs before he joined boy band One Direction.
- "Sam Sparro's first album". < http://www.samsparro.net>.
- "Sams Blog." < http://www.samsparro.com/blog.php?item=14>
- "Sam Sparro." < http://www.samsparro.com/about.php>.
- 2008 ARIA Awards Nominees Announced... And Here They Are!, Undercover, accessed 6 October 2008
- YouTube - Sam Sparro interview
- "Sam Sparro - Black and Gold". MariahGarnett.com. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "Sam Sparro - Black & Gold: Video". Universal Music Group (YouTube). Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Modus Vivendi Music
- Gamespot EA kicks off FIFA 09 tracklist Accessed 6 October 2008
- Top 50 Singles Chart. Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved on 15 June 2008.
- Czech Republic IFPI Singles Chart
- Danish Singles Chart Top 40
- Turkey Top 20 Chart Retrieved on 2008-05-24
- "Archive Chart" UK Dance Chart.
- 13:00 (29 December 2009). "Radio 1 Programmes - Christmas and New Year on Radio 1, Chart of the Decade, Episode 2". BBC. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Katy Perry Black and Gold cover LIVE (sam sparro)". Youtube.com. 28 July 2009. Retrieved 2012-08-18.