Sign of mourning
Similar to a black armband, the black ribbon is a public display of grief. Individuals or organizations display the ribbon in commemoration of victims after specific incidents. Some examples have included:
- Dutch Wikipedia - This ribbon is a sign of mourning for those killed in the fly Boeing KLM/Malaysia Airlines (18/07/2014)
- 9/11 - This ribbon is a sign of mourning for those killed in the September 11th attack.
- In New Zealand, a black ribbon was worn by family members after the deaths of 29 trapped miners who died in an explosion on November 26, 2010.
- In Poland, a black ribbon was worn by mourners of Polish president Lech Kaczyński, his wife, and 95 other important senior officials who died on April 10, 2010.
- In the United Kingdom after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997.
- The black ribbon has again made an appearance shortly after category 5 Hurricane Katrina landed along the Gulf Coast of the United States in August 2005.
- The black ribbon was a symbol of popular grief in Spain after the 11 March 2004 Madrid attacks. It was worn on clothing and also pinned on the Spanish flag.
- Google displayed a black ribbon as a mark of respect and sympathy for victims of 9/11, the 7 July 2005 London bombings, victims of Hurricane Katrina, victims of flight MH17,victims of the Charlie Hebdo shooting and for the death of Lee Kuan Yew.
- After the April 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.
- After the earthquake on August 15, 2007 in Peru, black ribbons were the icons of all Peruvian television channels for 3 days.
- After the death of Heath Ledger in January 2008, Warner Brothers placed a black ribbon on their marketing website for The Dark Knight in his memory.
- The black ribbon was used in remembrance to "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott of Pantera fame. It was modified to include a silhouette of Dimebag and his name and years of birth and death and used as a patch and sticker for the first annual Ride For Dime in honor of his music and life after being fatally shot on stage with his band Damageplan.
- The black ribbon has been also used by the journalists in the Philippines to condemn the killings of journalists on the Maguindanao massacre.
- In Northern Ireland, Bloody Sunday 1972 - to remember the murders and attempted murders of civilians at the peak of The Troubles.
- Police officers often wear black ribbons in mourning of fallen officers.
- 20 July 2012: The 12 people killed, out of the 71 shot, at the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado.
- 14 December 2012: The 2012 Connecticut shooting; 26 killed, 20 were children, at an elementary school in Newtown Connecticut.
- In the United States to remember construction workers who died after being hit by motorists.
- Turks use the black ribbon to mourn for the casualties of Turkish soldiers in the Turkey-PKK conflict.
- The 2013 London Marathon runners were given a black ribbon to wear to mark the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings.
- Giant-Shimano cycling team wore a black ribbon, and Belkin Pro Cycling Team wore a black armband on 18-July in the 2014 Tour de France and Google displayed a black ribbon on the homepage after flight MH17's crash.
- The Iguala kidnappings of 43 Ayotzinapa students on September 26, 2014 has also been to symbolize the mourning and remembrance of the Iguala students at a global stage.
- 7 January 2015 for both attacks on the offices of "Charlie Hebdo" in Paris when 12 journalists and 2 police officers were killed, and in the greater Paris were 1 municipal police officer was shot.
- 9 January 2015 for the attack on the shop in the 12th arrondissement of Paris where 4 hostages were killed.
- 23-29 March 2015, used by all Singaporeans, to mark the passing of former Prime Minister Mr. Lee Kuan Yew
- Melanoma Awareness - To bring awareness to melanoma and worn by people who know someone or are themselves affected by melanoma. Sometimes shown as black with white polka dots.
- In Argentina, a black ribbon, sometimes with the national flag's colours in both ends, is used to raise awareness about the victims of subversive terrorism.
- By the Anarchist Black Ribbon Campaign, a free speech campaign started in 1996 inspired by the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign.
- During the 6th International Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) the black ribbon was worn worldwide to show support and promote awareness of the Palestinian struggle.
- In India, 2011 to show support to Anna Hazare who was fasting to fight against corruption by government.
- Narcolepsy Awareness-To bring awareness to narcolepsy worn by anybody who supports Narcolepsy awareness.
- Worn by people who has suffered from any intentions of self harming on November 30 of every year.
- In the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, the black ribbon is worn by vampires to show that they have sworn never to drink blood again.
Variations of the ribbon
Melanoma Awareness Ribbon Alternative with White Polka Dots
- LaMar, Sondra (April 18, 2007). "Sigma Nu Distributes Black Ribbons on UA Fort Smith Campus". University of Arkansas - Fort Smith. Retrieved March 18, 2008.
- Mallari Jr., Delfin (November 25, 2009). "Quezon media unite for Maguindanao massacre victims". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- Gavin Brown (2013-04-16). "London Marathon runners to wear black ribbons following Boston blasts | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Black Ribbon Campaign". Anarchy for Anybody. Retrieved March 18, 2008.
- "BARC Graphics". GeoCities. Archived from the original on March 4, 2005.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mourning ribbons.|