Blackburn High School
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (February 2012)|
|Blackburn High School|
|60 Springfield Road
Blackburn, Victoria, 3130
|Colour(s)||Red, Green, Blue, Yellow
Blackburn High School is a public secondary school for girls and boys in years 7 to 12 in Blackburn, a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Blackburn High School is a Victorian secondary school for young men and women. It aims to educate tomorrow's minds today. Started in 1956, the school has a proud tradition of academic excellence and exceptional music achievement. The school is nationally recognised as a leading educational institution for music education.
Blackburn High School Redevelopment
The campus is currently being redeveloped with the construction of new facilities such as a Global Learning Centre, state of the art classrooms, Gymnasium, Auditorium, Hospitality Centre, Student Cafe and Administration building (completed)
Blackburn High School has four Houses named Dunlop (Red), Melba (Blue), Freeman (Yellow), and Hollows (Green). The House names were inspired by the following famous Australians - Sir "Weary" Dunlop, Dame Nellie Melba, Cathy Freeman, Fred Hollows. The Houses provide the basis for Blackburn High School's educational program. Each House has approximately 160 students from Years - VCE. Within each House students are members of their own special Mentor group. The multi age mentor groups consist of students from Years 7 -12 and they form the basis of the school's strong pastoral care program. The mentor group and mentor teacher stay together for the duration of the student's time at Blackburn and complete activities such as L2L (Learn to Learn) and pathways. This model aims to provide a learning environment in which the student's individual learning style and personality are catered for and he or she is well known.
- Ross Irwin - Trumpet player in Melbourne based band 'The Cat Empire'.
- Daniel Merriweather - R&B Singer/Songwriter.
- Erin Cornell - Professional Vocalist, playing the Wicked Witch, Elphaba in Osaka, Japan.
- Johannes Luebbers - Artist and composer based in Perth.
- Reuben Morgan - Singer/Songwriter at the Hillsong Church
- Darren James - 3AW Radio Announcer
- Don Scott - Former Hawthorn AFL Football Club Captain & Premiership Player.
- Kyle Patterson - Former SBS Soccer Host.
- Russell Scrimshaw - Executive Director Fortesque Metals.
- The Hon. Evelyn Bender - Judge of the Federal Magistrate Court of Australia
- Dee Ryall MP - Member for Mitcham
- Michael Wagner Radio presenter and Children's Author
- Jenny Donnet Olympic and Commonwealth Games diving legend