Blackett or Blacket is a surname of English derivation.
Blackett is an English surname that originated in England and is found throughout the English speaking world. The name is a corruption of Black Head, and in early times had various spellings as Blakehed, Blackheved, Blackved and Blackett. Later spelling, particularly in parish registers, were generally based on the sound and intuition of the bearer, and for that reason spelling variations are to be found with Blackett sometimes spelled Blacket or even Blackitt.
The surname is especially concentrated in England in the counties of Durham in the North of England. Blackett and Blacket is also found in Canada, Australia and New Zealand and the United States of America.
Origins and history 
The origins of the Blackett family can be traced back to the County of Durham in the North East of England, where almost all early instances occur. The most predominant line appears to stem from Woodcroft in County Durham and representatives were to be found in surrounding parishes of Hamsterley, Stanhope, Witton and Brancepeth.
The arms of Thomas Blacket (1525-1603) are
- COAT OF ARMS “Argent, on a chevron between three mullets sable, as many escallops of the field”
- CREST: “A hawk’s head erased proper”
- MOTTO: “Nous travaillerons en esperance”
- Andrea Blackett (born 1976), Barbadian athlete
- Sir Basil Blackett (1882-1935), finance expert
- Basil Blackett (1886-1920), WW1 flying ace
- Edmund Blacket (1817-1883), Australian architect
- Blackett baronets
- Sir William Blackett, 1st Baronet, of Matfen (1620-1680) businessman and MP
- Sir Edward Blackett, 2nd Baronet of Matfen (1649-1718) MP, builder of Newby Hall
- Sir Edward Blackett, 3rd Baronet (1683–1756) Royal Navy officer
- Sir Edward Blackett, 4th Baronet of Matfen (1719-1804) MP
- Sir William Blackett, 1st Baronet, of Newcastle (1657- 1705) MP
- Sir William Blackett, 2nd Baronet of Newcastle (1690-1728) MP
- Calverley-Blackett baronets
- Sir Walter Blackett, 2nd Baronet (born Calverley) MP
- John Blackett (1821-1856), British politician
- Lee Blackett (born 1982), rugby player
- Lindsay Blackett (born 1961), Canadian politician
- Patrick Blackett, Baron Blackett (1897-1974), scientist - Nobel prize winner
- Shane Blackett (born 1982), soccer player
- Blackett of Wylam
Fictional Blacketts 
Further reading 
Kirtley, Allan, Longbottom, Patricia, Blackett, Martin "A History of the Blacketts" (2013) : The Blacketts ISBN 978-0-9575675-0-4.