Blackstone Career Institute
The Blackstone Career Institute, based in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and founded in 1890, offers distance education programs and home study programs, specializing in courses students can use to study at home and/or take online to advance their careers. Training includes courses that prepare a student for a career as a paralegal or legal assistant, medical transcriptionist, medical biller (billing) and coder (coding), medical office assistant, or dental office assistant.
Licensing and Accreditation
The Blackstone Career Institute is privately licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Education1 and accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC)2, Washington, D.C., and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools3. The Blackstone Career Institute is recognized as an accredited school by the U.S. Department of Education4.
Blackstone Career Institute offers home study training and online courses with degrees in the following areas:
• Legal Assistant and Paralegal
• Medical Transcription
• Medical Billing and Coding
• Medical Office Assistant
• Dental Office Assistant • Pharmacy Technician • Physical Therapy Aide • Veterinary Assistant • Child Day Care
Blackstone was the pioneer in offering legal training by distance learning. Founded in 1890, the Institute was the first to utilize Modern American Law, first published in 1916. The text was considered a reference in the law profession, and was cited as an authority by the Wisconsin Supreme Court by in the case of Dingman vs. Hillbery, 149 Western 761. Blackstone Career Institute has since developed several high growth training programs for the adult learner seeking entry level employment.
Depending on learning style, a student may choose correspondence-based instruction or electronic instruction (online courses) through the Blackstone Online Student Center.
1. Pennsylvania Department of Education (http://www.pde.state.pa.us/)
2. Distance Education and Training Council (http://www.detc.org/)
3. Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools (http://www.middlestates.org/)
4. U.S. Department of Education (http://www.ed.gov/index.jhtml)
• Blackstone Career Institute: http://blackstone.edu
• Blackstone Paralegal Training and Advanced Law Courses: http://blackstonelaw.com
• American Academy of Independent Studies: http://www.123ce.com/
• U.S. Department of Education directory: http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
• Pennsylvania Department of Education Educational Entities: http://edna.ed.state.pa.us/EntitySearch.asp