|Genus:||Chaetodon (but see text)|
|Species:||C. (R.) falcula|
|Chaetodon (Rabdophorus) falcula
It grows to a maximum of 20 cm (nearly 8 in) long. Its shape is reminiscent of longsnout butterflyfish[disambiguation needed], though the snout is not as extremely prolonged and the pattern is very different. The body is white with a series of narrow vertical dark grey lines and bright yellow and orange over the back, dorsal fin, anal fin and caudal fin. There are two well-defined black saddles on the back, and as usual the characteristic black eye-band of Chaetodon is present.
The Black-wedged Butterflyfish is found on the reef edge and upper slope. It prefers current-prone habitats 1-20 m deep. It mainly feeds on invertebrates.
It belongs to the large subgenus Rabdophorus which might warrant recognition as a distinct genus. In this group, the closest relative of this peculiar species is the similar-looking Pacific Double-saddle Butterflyfish or "False Falcula", C. ulietensis. Other fairly close relatives are the quite differently-shaped but similarly colored Lined (C. lineolatus) and Spot-naped butterflyfishes (C. oxycephalus), while the Blue-cheeked Butterflyfish (C. semilarvatus) seems to be a far more basal lineage relative to all of these. The bluish vertical lines are present in all of these, while a white body with yellow behind and black on back and caudal peduncle are only shared among the four less ancient species.
- Allen, G. & Myers, R. 2010. Chaetodon falcula. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 10 September 2013.
- FishBase 
- Fessler & Westneat (2007), Hsu et al. (2007)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaetodon falcula.|
- Fessler, Jennifer L. & Westneat, Mark W. (2007): Molecular phylogenetics of the butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae): Taxonomy and biogeography of a global coral reef fish family. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 45(1): 50–68. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2007.05.018 (HTML abstract)
- FishBase : Chaetodon falcula. Retrieved 2008-SEP-01.
- Hsu, Kui-Ching; Chen, Jeng-Ping & Shao, Kwang-Tsao (2007): Molecular phylogeny of Chaetodon (Teleostei: Chaetodontidae) in the Indo-West Pacific: evolution in geminate species pairs and species groups. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement 14: 77-86. PDF fulltext
|This Chaetodontidae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|