Thurier in April 2008
|Born||1967 (age 46–47)
Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, power pop|
|Occupations||Musician, director, writer, editor|
|Associated acts||The New Pornographers|
Blaine Thurier (born 1967 Estevan) is a Canadian musician and film producer. He plays synthesizer with the Canadian indie pop supergroup The New Pornographers. His videos for The New Pornographers have been critically well received.Thurier has written and directed feature films which have been screened at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), South by Southwest Film Festival, Slamdance and other festivals. Thurier served as a 2011 panelist for the TIFF.
Thurier considers filmmaking his main creative outlet, while treating music as a job. He plays synthesizer with the Canadian indie pop supergroup The New Pornographers. Thurier has directed three of the band's videos "Use It", "All For Swinging You Around" and "The Laws Have Changed".
Thurier's first full length feature Low Self-Esteem Girl premiered at the September 2000 Toronto International Film Festival. Thurier used the attention from his film debut to promote The New Pornographers who were still a few months away from releasing their debut album Mass Romantic. The film was awarded Best Narrative Feature at the South by Southwest Film Festival.
Thurier's second full length feature, a comedy, Male Fantasy received a nomination at the Toronto International Film Festival. It was released to DVD in 2008. A Gun to the Head, a crime comedy, was Thurier's third full-length feature film. Thurier's fourth film 12 Takes was made in 2010. It is a short documentary.
|2003||"The Laws Have Changed"||from the album Electric Version|
|2003||"All For Swinging You Around"||from the album Electric Version|
|2005||"Use It"||from the album Twin Cinema|
|2000||Low Self-Esteem Girl||Screenwriter, Producer, Director, Editor, Sound||Best Narrative Feature at the SXSW Film Festival|
|2004||Male Fantasy||Screenwriter, Producer, Director, Editor|
|2009||A Gun to the Head||Screenwriter, Director|
- 2010 12 Takes
- "Canada's Top Ten » Panelists » Shorts Panel". tiff.net. Toronto International Film Festival. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Feature Films 2010 » A GUN TO THE HEAD". telefilm.gc.ca. Telefilm Canada. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Howell, Peter (27 September 2000). "No laughing at Low Self Esteem Girl". Toronto Star (Torstar). www.thestar.com. p. E03. OCLC 679765547. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "a gun to the head. a blaine thurier film PRESS KIT" (PDF). doghousefilms.ca (Press release). Doghouse Films. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Berner, Drew (14 September 2009). "New Pornographer Brings 'Gun' to TIFF". spinner.ca. Spinner. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Blaine Thurier Credits". www.allmusic.com. Allmusic. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- McLean, Steve. "The New Pornographers". The Encyclopedia of Music in Canada. The Historica Dominion Institute. thecanadianencyclopedia.com. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "The New Pornographers » Media". thenewpornographers.com. The New Pornographers. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Low Self Esteem Girl (2000)". movies.yahoo.com. Yahoo. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Johnson, Barry (16 March 2001). "SXSW Film Reviews » Low Self-Esteem Girl amounts to nothing terribly special, which makes its Jury Award for Best Narrative Feature all the more baffling.". Austin Chronicle (Nick Barbaro). austinchronicle.com. ISSN 1074-0740. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Chambers, Bill. "LOW SELF ESTEEM GIRL (2000) » *** (out of four)". filmfreakcentral.net. Film Freak Central. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Keast, James (November 2000). "The New Pornographers Mutual Appreciation Pop Society » Features » On the Cover » Nov 2000". Exclaim! (Toronto: 1059434 Ontario Inc.). www.exclaim.ca. ISSN 1207-6600. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Perlich, Tim (7 September 2000). "Music Feature » Pornographers get film fest boost". Now (magazine) 20 (1) (Toronto: Now Communications Inc). nowtoronto.com. ISSN 0712-1326. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Keast, James (February 2000). "Tennessee Twin » Interviews » From The Magazine » Feb 2000". Exclaim! (Toronto: 1059434 Ontario Inc.). www.exclaim.ca. ISSN 1207-6600. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Dumpert, Hazel-Dawn (21 March 2001). "Hot Movies, Cool Scene » The eighth annual South by Southwest film festival". LA Weekly (Culver City: Village Voice Media). laweekly.com. OCLC 60630561. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Buchanan, Jason. "Male Fantasy Overview". allrovi.com. AllRovi. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Buchanan, Jason. "A Gun to the Head Overview". allrovi.com. AllRovi. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "12 Takes Cast & Crew". allrovi.com. Allmovie. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Blaine Thurier at AllMovie
- Blaine Thurier at the Internet Movie Database
- The New Pornographers at CBC Radio 3
- The New Pornographers official website