Blair County, Pennsylvania
|Blair County, Pennsylvania|
Blair County Courthouse, Hollidaysburg
Location in the state of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1846|
527 sq mi (1,365 km²)
526 sq mi (1,362 km²)
1 sq mi (3 km²), 0.25%
242/sq mi (93.3/km²)
Blair County is a county located in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It is part of the Altoona, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of 2010, the population was 127,089. It was created on February 26, 1846, from parts of Huntingdon and Bedford Counties. Its county seat is Hollidaysburg.
Law And Government 
As of November 2008, there are 84,405 registered voters in Blair County .
County commissioners 
- Terry Tomassetti, Chair, Republican
- Diane Meling, Vice-chair, Republican
- Donna Gority, Secretary, Democrat
Other county offices 
- Clerk of Courts and Prothonotary, Carol Newman, Republican
- Controller, Richard Peo, Republican
- Coroner, Patricia Ross, Republican
- District Attorney, Richard Consiglio, Republican
- Register of Wills and Recorder of Deeds, Mary Ann Bennis, Republican
- Sheriff, Mitch Cooper, Republican
- Treasurer, James Carothers, Republican
Pennsylvania State Senate 
Pennsylvania House of Representatives 
- Richard Geist, Republican, Pennsylvania's 79th Representative District
- Jerry Stern, Republican, Pennsylvania's 80th Representative District
- Mike Fleck, Republican, Pennsylvania's 81st Representative District
United States House of Representatives 
United States Senate 
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 527 square miles (1,364.9 km2), of which 526 square miles (1,362.3 km2) is land and 1 square mile (2.6 km2) (0.25%) is water.
Adjacent counties 
- Centre County (north)
- Huntingdon County (east)
- Bedford County (south)
- Cambria County (west)
- Clearfield County (northwest)
||Clearfield County||Centre County|
|Cambria County||Huntingdon County|
National protected area 
Significant Topographic Features 
As of the census of 2000, there were 127,089 people and 52,159 households within the county. The population density was 246 people per square mile (95/km²). There were 55,061 housing units at an average density of 105 per square mile (40/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.18% White, 1.68% Black or African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.56% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. 0.97% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 40.0% were of German, 12.2% Irish, 10.7% Italian, 9.9% American and 6.0% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 52,159 households out of which 28.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.60% were married couples living together, 11.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.30% were non-families. 27.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the county, the population was spread out with 21.1% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 19, 5.9% from 20 to 24, 11.1% from 25 to 34, 19.3% from 35 to 49, 21.4% from 50 to 64, and 17.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. The population was 48.55% male, and 51.45% female.
Under Pennsylvania law, there are four types of incorporated municipalities: cities, boroughs, townships, and, in at most two cases, towns. The following cities, boroughs and townships are located in Blair County:
Altoona has a population of 49,523 as of January 29, 2011.
Census-designated places 
Census-designated places are geographical areas designated by the U.S. Census Bureau for the purposes of compiling demographic data. They are not actual jurisdictions under Pennsylvania law. Other unincorporated communities, such as villages, may be listed here as well.
Colleges and universities 
Community, Junior and Technical Colleges 
- South Hills School of Business and Technology
- YTI Career Institute
- [Pennsylvania Highlands Community College]
Public School Districts 
- Altoona Area School District
- Bellwood-Antis School District
- Claysburg-Kimmel School District (also in Bedford County)
- Hollidaysburg Area School District
- Penn Cambria School District (also in Cambria County)
- Spring Cove School District
- Tyrone Area School District (also in Centre and Huntingdon Counties)
- Williamsburg Community School District
Charter schools 
- Agora Cyber Charter School
- Central PA Digital Learning Foundation Charter School grades K-12. Altoona.
- There are 17 public cyber charter schools in Pennsylvania that are available statewide for free, to children K-12. See: Education in Pennsylvania.
VoTech school 
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center - Altoona
Private schools 
Data taken from Pennsylvania EdNA - PDE database of public private schools 2012
- Altoona Area Pub Library Media Center - Altoona
- Altoona Area Public Library - Altoona
- Bellwood Antis Public Library - Bellwood
- Blair County Library System - Altoona
- Claysburg Area Public Library Inc - Claysburg
- Hollidaysburg Area Public Library - Hollidaysburg
- Martinsburg Community Library - Martinsburg
- Roaring Spring Community Library - Roaring Spring
- Tyrone-Snyder Twnshp Pub Library - Tyrone
- Williamsburg Public Library - Williamsburg
There is one Pennsylvania state park in Blair County.
See also 
- List of municipal authorities in Blair County, Pennsylvania
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Blair County, Pennsylvania
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education. "Charter Schools in Pennsylvania". Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Blair County Business and Information Directory
- Forever Free: Blair County's Civil War
- The Blair County Historical Society
- Blair County government
- Blair County Chamber of Commerce
- Catharine Township
- Morrisons Cove Herald website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Blair County, Pennsylvania|