|Location||4700 Deukmejian Drive
Long Beach, CA 90804
|Owner||City of Long Beach|
|Operator||City of Long Beach|
|Field size||Left - 348 ft.
Center - 400 ft.
Right - 348 ft.
|Opened||April 11, 1958|
|Long Beach Armada (GBL) (2005-2009)
Long Beach State 49ers (Big West) (1993-present)
Long Beach Breakers (WBL) (2001-2002)
Long Beach Riptide (WBL) (1995-1996)
Chicago Cubs (NL) (1966) (spring training)
Blair Field is a stadium in Long Beach, California. It originally opened in 1956 and is primarily used for baseball. It holds 3,238 people. It is named for Frank Blair, the sports editor for the Long Beach Press-Telegram newspaper for 32 years.
Located in Recreation Park, it was constructed in 1958 and over the years has fostered local amateur baseball and hosted Moore League high school football and baseball teams, along with American Legion and Connie Mack baseball. The Chicago Cubs baseball team held spring training at the ballpark in 1966, the Los Angeles Rams football team and Olympic teams have used the site for practice or exhibition games.
In 1992, $1.475 million was spent to renovate the 3,238-seat facility. New spectator seating, field lights, a playing field with state-of-the-art drainage system, and turf which exceeds professional baseball standards were installed. Additional improvements, including 774 new box seats and a new scoreboard, were made in 1999.
Blair Field has hosted six MTV Rock N' Jock softball games. It has also has been the filming location for numerous film, TV, and commercial productions, including the movies Space Jam and Moneyball.
- Keisser, Bob (April 9, 2008). "Historic Blair Field never looked better". Long Beach Press-Telegram. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "Blair Field". www.longbeachstate.cstv.com. Retrieved 2008-03-17.
- Foley, Brian (13 June 2012). "2012 NCAA Baseball Attendance Report". CollegeBaseballDaily.com. Archived from the original on 2012-06-14. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Filming Locations for Space Jam". The Internet Movie Database (IMDB). Archived from the original on 2011-11-30. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- Warner Brothers (1996). "Production Notes". Five Star Publishing. Archived from the original on 2011-11-30. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
Off-stage locations for the live-action sequences included Blair Field in Long Beach, for scenes recreating Jordan's season with the Birmingham Barons baseball team...
- Ugland, Devin (October 3, 2011). "Brad Pitt’s ‘Moneyball’ shot at Blair Field". Daily 49er. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "Super Bowl Notebook". St. Petersburg Times. 1977-01-07. p. 4C. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- City of Long Beach Department of Parks and Recreation: Blair Field
- Long Beach State Athletics: Blair Field
- Digital Ballparks: Blair Field
- Ballpark Reviews: Blair Field