Location of Blanchester, Ohio
|• Mayor||T. Chad Hollon|
|• Total||4.25 sq mi (11.01 km2)|
|• Land||4.15 sq mi (10.75 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.26 km2)|
|Elevation||971 ft (296 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||4,230|
|• Density||1,022.4/sq mi (394.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1038105|
Blanchester was laid out in 1832 by Joseph and John Blancett.
Blanchester is located at (39.292314, -83.985769).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 4.25 square miles (11.01 km2), of which 4.15 square miles (10.75 km2) is land and 0.10 square miles (0.26 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,243 people, 1,636 households, and 1,113 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,022.4 inhabitants per square mile (394.8/km2). There were 1,854 housing units at an average density of 446.7 per square mile (172.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.8% White, 0.4% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.4% of the population.
There were 1,636 households of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.9% were married couples living together, 14.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.0% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the village was 37.3 years. 25.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.4% were from 25 to 44; 24.5% were from 45 to 64; and 15.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 47.1% male and 52.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,220 people, 1,645 households, and 1,131 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,424.8 people per square mile (550.5/km²). There were 1,766 housing units at an average density of 596.3 per square mile (230.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.70% White, 0.14% African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.02% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 1,645 households out of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.2% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the village the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 85.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $35,608, and the median income for a family was $42,018. Males had a median income of $32,088 versus $24,531 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,112. About 6.9% of families and 11.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.4% of those under age 18 and 21.1% of those age 65 or over.
The village is in the Blanchester Local School District.
- Clarence J. Brown - newspaper publisher who started Brown Publishing Company and Republican politician who served in the United States House of Representatives, Lieutenant Governor of Ohio, and Ohio Secretary of State.
- Clarence J. "Bud" Brown Jr. - held a seat in the United States House of Representatives, and served as Deputy and Acting Secretary of Commerce under President Ronald Reagan.
Blanchester Showplace Cinemas is reported as having the cheapest first run movie theater seating in America.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Brown, Albert J. (1915). History of Clinton County, Ohio: Its People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 287.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Is This the Cheapest Movie Theater in America?". 23 June 2014. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Media related to Blanchester, Ohio at Wikimedia Commons