Blank Generation (album)
|Studio album by Richard Hell & the Voidoids|
|Recorded||Plaza Sound, New York
Electric Lady Studios
|Producer||Richard Gottehrer, Richard Hell|
|Richard Hell & the Voidoids chronology|
1990 CD reissue cover
Blank Generation is the debut studio album by American punk rock band Richard Hell and the Voidoids. It was produced by Richard Gottehrer and released in September 1977 on Sire Records. The title track is loosely based on the single "The Beat Generation", a late-1950s collaboration between Bob McFadden and poet Rod McKuen.
The original album sleeve features a front cover photo of frontman Richard Hell in black jeans and shirtless, opening a frayed jacket to reveal the phrase "YOU MAKE ME _______" written across his chest. The photo was taken by CBGB's unofficial photographer Roberta Bayley. The back cover featured a posed photo of Hell and the Voidoids taken by Kate Simon.
AllMusic called Blank Generation "one of the most powerful [albums] to come from punk's first wave" and "groundbreaking punk rock that followed no one's template, and today it sounds just as fresh—and nearly as abrasive—as it did when it first hit the racks." BBC Music was positive of the album in its 2007 review, calling it "a thrilling and improbably poignant listening experience".
1990 CD reissue
The 1990 CD reissue of Blank Generation differs in several respects from the original vinyl album. It has a different cover, and includes two bonus tracks: a version of the pop standard "All the Way" and an original, "I'm Your Man" (not the Leonard Cohen song of same name). Both are outtakes from the original album sessions. Also, "Down at the Rock & Roll Club" is a noticeably different recording from that which appeared on the original LP.
All songs written and composed by Richard Hell, except as indicated.
|1.||"Love Comes in Spurts"||2:03|
|2.||"Liars Beware"||Hell, Ivan Julian||2:52|
|4.||"Betrayal Takes Two"||Hell, Julian||3:37|
|5.||"Down at the Rock and Roll Club"||4:05|
|2.||"Walking on the Water"||John Fogerty, Tom Fogerty|
|CD reissue bonus tracks|
|11.||"I'm Your Man"||2:55|
|12.||"All the Way"||Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen||3:22|
- Richard Hell – vocals, bass guitar
- Robert Quine – guitar, backing vocals
- Ivan Julian – guitar, backing vocals
- Marc Bell – drums
- Deming, Mark. "Blank Generation – Richard Hell & the Voidoids : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Smith, Sid (April 24, 2007). "BBC – Music – Review of Richard Hell and the Voidoids – Blank Generation". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Christgau, Robert (October 31, 1977). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice (New York). Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "The History of Rock Music. Richard Hell: biography, discography, reviews, links". Retrieved September 15, 2013.