|Blank Rome LLP|
|No. of offices||11 offices (1 international)|
|No. of attorneys||approximately 500|
|Major practice areas||Multi-practice law and government affairs firm.|
|Key people||Alan Hoffman, Co-Chairman & Managing Partner; T. Michael Dyer, Co-Chairman|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Blank Rome (formerly known as Blank Rome Comisky & McCauley) is one the largest law firms in the United States. With nearly 500 attorneys serving clients across the globe, Blank Rome is an international law firm representing businesses and organizations ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-up entities. It is ranked as the 91st largest law firm in the United States in terms of revenue, according to the AmLaw 100 Survey. Blank Rome has ten offices in the United States: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles, California; Houston, Texas; Princeton, New Jersey; Wilmington, Delaware; Cincinnati, Ohio; Boca Raton, Florida; and Tampa, Florida. In May 2011, the firm further expanded internationally by opening a Shanghai office in the People’s Republic of China.
Blank Rome was founded in 1946. The firm has merged with six other firms: Wigman, Cohen, Leitner & Myers in 1998; Tenzer Greenblatt LLP in 2000; Dyer, Ellis & Joseph in 2003, Healy & Baillie in 2006, Abrams Scott & Bickley, L.L.P. in 2011, and Bell, Ryniker & Letourneau, PC in 2013.
The firm’s practices cover areas including business tax; commercial and corporate litigation; employment benefits and labor; financial services; bankruptcy and financial restructuring; government relations; health law; intellectual property; maritime, international trade and procurement; matrimonial; mergers & acquisitions and private equity; product liability; public companies and capital formation; public finance; real estate; trusts and estates; and white collar, internal and government investigations.
Blank Rome Government Relations LLC, an affiliate of Blank Rome LLP, includes legal, lobbying and strategic communications professionals who manage virtually every aspect of a governmental issue facing a client.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- Geraldine Ferraro, former congresswoman and Vice-Presidential candidate, was a principal of Blank Rome Government Relations LLC.
- Michael L. Krancer, former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, is a partner at the law firm.
- Keith Gottfried, former general counsel to the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and a senior official in the administration of President George W. Bush, was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm from 2007 to 2012.
- Nathaniel R. Jones, former judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and former general counsel to the NAACP, was the law firm's former Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer.
- Frederica Massiah-Jackson, Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas judge, worked at the law firm before her election to the bench in 1983.
- David A. Norcross, former chairman of the New Jersey Republican State Committee and executive assistant to New Jersey Governor William T. Cahill, is a partner at the law firm.
- J. Caleb Boggs III, former legislative counsel to the United States Senate, was appointed by the President in 2009 to six-year term as U.S. delegate to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, and was a partner in the Washington, DC and Wilmington, Delaware offices.
- Stephen Orlofsky, former judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, is a partner at the law firm, and the head of their appellate practice group.
- Peter A. Peyser, Jr., son of congressman Peter A. Peyser, was a principal of Blank Rome Government Relations LLC.
- Gil Stein, former president and general counsel to the National Hockey League, worked at the law firm before becoming an executive with the Philadelphia Flyers in 1976.
- Blank Rome LLP homepage
- Bankruptcy Law Watch
- Securities News Watch
- Blank Rome Government Relations LLC homepage
- Vault.com profile
- Blank Rome's entry on SourceWatch
- Blank Rome's firm profile from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell